Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Damaged property - what would you do?

(7 Posts)
SomeonesRealName Fri 23-Dec-16 10:56:20

Left abusive ex a long time ago and have had some of the stuff I was awarded in the divorce in storage since the house was sold. Just unpacked recently and discovered that some of the things have been deliberately damaged. Would you just let it go, should I say something to him? What would you do?

Bailey101 Fri 23-Dec-16 13:53:14

Do you have proof that he damaged them? You might get financial recompense through the small claims courts, but you would have to have some sort of evidence to show that he did the damage and that could be hard if it's been a long period of time since he had possession.

What sort of damage has been done? Is any of it fixable?

Bailey101 Fri 23-Dec-16 13:55:50

Sorry, just realised my reply didn't answer your questions at all blush

If he isn't likely to kick off or get violent, I would probably ask him what the hell he was playing at.

Is he prone to fits of temper, and the regretting it afterwards or is he more calculating and the sort who would plan the damage as a way to get back at you?

SingingSeal Fri 23-Dec-16 13:56:53

It depends. What kind of damage? Would the financial recompense be significant? Since this person is out of your life would it be worth having to deal with this person again, even if it is "only" through the small claims courts?

chitofftheshovel Fri 23-Dec-16 14:08:21

Let it go. Honestly part of him trashing your stuff was to get a reaction, don't give him that.

SomeonesRealName Fri 23-Dec-16 23:56:40

Yes good advice I think he did want a reaction and will hate not getting one. I do resent having to do the faux civility with someone who smashed up my stuff though. Oh well it's not the worst thing he's done!

SomeonesRealName Fri 23-Dec-16 23:58:07

Bailey it's definitely a planned damage thing he's into retribution for those who cross him. I'd probably get worse if I complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now