Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What to go to the pub but never been out on my own

(19 Posts)
onceacuntalwaysacunt Thu 22-Dec-16 21:43:30

This is my first Christmas on my own after 26 years of marriage. In years gone past we would have had quite an active social Christmas life either together or occasionally (when I was allowed) with our own friends.

I work for myself & sometimes have no contact with anyone all day.

I would love to go into town & have a drink tomorrow night to try and muster some Christmas spirit but I have never been out for a drink on my own.
I'm thinking if I go to a pub that serves food I won't look like a complete Billy No Mates or is it just a bad idea ?

RumAppleGinger Thu 22-Dec-16 21:45:07

It's a great idea. Go, talk to people, have a nice time.

Merry Christmas cunty

Falalalafffffffttt Thu 22-Dec-16 21:48:29

Go! Bring a book or phone to occupy you if you feel self conscious but you may just want to sit and drink/eat in peace. No-one will think anything of it.

cheekyfunkymonkey Thu 22-Dec-16 21:48:40

Why not try an open invitation on fb to your mates to say in town anyone up for a few jars?

Bluntness100 Thu 22-Dec-16 21:49:00

Do it, take a book or paper so if you do feel uncomfortable then you can distract yourself and look busy, may as well give it a shot,

Booboomoogooboo Thu 22-Dec-16 21:50:33

Definitely go out! You sound like you deserve a nice evening. You won't look like a Billy no mates, just someone out for a Christmas drink. Go, and have a lovely evening wine

NashvilleQueen Thu 22-Dec-16 21:53:39

Cocktails in a hotel bar might be an idea. Lots of people alone. People won't know if you're a resident or customer. Also excellent for watching world go by. I'd pick the poshest I could afford.

BolivarAtasco Thu 22-Dec-16 21:55:01

I often sit and have a drink in a pub on my own. I usually read a book and just enjoy the quiet time. No-one thinks anything of it these days.

nauticant Thu 22-Dec-16 21:56:09

It's a great idea but it's an Everest of an evening to pick. If there was one evening I'd avoid over the year where I'd feel comfortable to have a chat with other people in the pub tomorrow would be it.

However, it's probably the best evening of the year for very confident people to get out and do their thing.

Sn0tnose Thu 22-Dec-16 22:40:44

I used to work behind a bar and women came in alone all the time.

If it's your first time going out alone and you aren't feeling particularly confident, then take a book or newspaper with you. Choose your pub wisely and if you want to talk to people, sit at the bar. Smile at people and hope you have a fun evening.

Newbrummie Thu 22-Dec-16 22:42:18

Have you got a local social club ... I'd join that and be down there every weekend next year

6demandingchildren Thu 22-Dec-16 22:45:08

I'm the type to chat to anyone and I have never had a problem drinking on my own you can always buy someone a drink as it's Christmas. Hope you have a fantastic time and I can't wait to hear all about it

PlymouthMaid1 Thu 22-Dec-16 22:45:52

I wouldn't pick this week to do it alone unless you know the pub well enough to know that it won't be full of very drunk blokes as all our local ones seem to be. Great idea in general though.

ChuckSnowballs Thu 22-Dec-16 22:47:57

Are you in nottingham? You can join us.

BubblingUp Fri 23-Dec-16 00:12:56

Well, the chance of you getting hit on by a married man decreases due to the holiday - so that's a bonus.

OntheAir Fri 23-Dec-16 00:39:29

I love being in the pub on my own and usually arrive an hour early when meeting someone so I can get so,e peace. As others have said though, tomorrow night mightn't be the best but here's a few practical tips:
- Buy a bottle of wine to avoid queuing at the bar with the assorted idiots who'll be in
- Drink somewhere that has a transient crowd passing through (near a station, in a hotel, theatre, arts venue, etc)
- Have a good one!

BeezerBubble Fri 23-Dec-16 00:57:41

Maybe make the meal the prime objective rather than the drink? Treat yourself to your favourite nosh at a place that is likely to be festive but not rowdy ( easier said than done I know).

TheNaze73 Fri 23-Dec-16 08:24:52

I think it'll be the best night to do it. The bars will be proper busy tonight & they'll be lots of people in the Christmas spirit. I was out with my group of friends this time last year & we picked up a stray, who was new to the area. 1 year on & they're now out with us most Friday's

ravenmum Fri 23-Dec-16 08:33:47

Depends what you want from the occasion - if you want to be sociable and talk to strangers or if you just want to have a yummy meal. If the latter, no problem. People often eat on their own if they are on a business trip, travelling somewhere, etc. If the former then maybe the bar is a better place to sit. But you can't pretend to be on a business trip then smile

I'm on my own without the kids next week and have got a couple of dodgy dates lined up via a website. Could well turn out to be a flop but I'm telling myself that a) they clearly have nothing better to do either and b) at least I'm not sitting moping at home. If you feel the same way, go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now