Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Have I watched too many British rom-coms or ....

(15 Posts)
LoveFactually Wed 21-Dec-16 14:44:38

Do you think a big surprise last ditch airport run attempt at love can work?

I was in a long distance relationship, this person means more to me than anything else.

We had a row and she won't talk to me. Phone/skype etc...

Would I be mad to get on a plane in the New year just to talk to her? (Talking 6 hour flight)

I just want the opportunity to talk to her properly and tell her how much I love her.

At least then I know I tried my best and if she feels the same I can move on.

It's hard because the distance makes it seem so extreme iykwim? (I'm a woman too btw)

velourvoyageur Wed 21-Dec-16 14:46:31

I think that wouldn't be very thoughtful, sorry OP.

I know you mean well and it must be such a hard and frustrating position to be in, but if she doesn't want to talk to you, please give her space. It's respectful.

rumred Wed 21-Dec-16 14:50:15

Drop the idealistic bobbins. Write her a letter and work on your communication skills. Or reflect honestly about the quality of this ld relationship. She's clearly not keen if she's blanking you

FeralBeryl Wed 21-Dec-16 14:50:46

I would say it would depend on why you argued.
If it was because she feels you won't commit/ don't make an effort/ don't prioritise her then yes, I think it would be lovely.
Now DH drove 6 hours one Christmas to see me as he knew I was quite sad I wasn't going to see him though I wouldn't admit it

If you've just been a dick, or she is implying that this is really the end if the relationship then no, I wouldn't.

faffalotty Wed 21-Dec-16 15:20:58

Depends on what the row was about and when did it happen?

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 21-Dec-16 15:23:48

I think that would verge on harassment! She has made it clear to you that she doesn't want any contact. Your "big romantic gesture" would be for you, not her. Your desire to have a relationship with her does not override her desire to have none with you. If you love her then respect that.

tribpot Wed 21-Dec-16 15:25:21

Euww. I would find it super-creepy if someone I wasn't speaking to turned up at my door. Way too pushy. Esp as you are obviously going to be hanging around for several days, having just flown for 6 hours.

KondosSecretJunkRoom Wed 21-Dec-16 15:28:10

A lot of the stuff that they palm off as romantic in movies is creepy as fuck.

Write her a letter and if she's interested she'll reply if she doesn't you need to move on without any fuss.

TheWorstNoel Wed 21-Dec-16 15:52:35

To be fair, that's more of a US romcom. In a British romcom you would fly over, only to get knocked back in a humiliatingly public manner by the object of your affections, but then while you were drowning your sorrows in the pub down the road, you'd discover the geeky but funny barman/maid was on his/her own for Christmas too.

I'm not sure it's worth flying 6 hours to test out this theory, though.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 21-Dec-16 15:58:08

Don't do it, it's manipulative - 'I have flown all this way and spent all this money so you have got to talk to me.'
I think you have to write or email.

TheNaze73 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:38:34

I'd think that was batshit behaviour.

Don't do it

Cricrichan Wed 21-Dec-16 16:42:01

Only if she wants you to.

SausageSoda Wed 21-Dec-16 16:44:18

In reality, you'd turn up and she'd be away for Christmas or be celebrating at home with friends/family/new boyfriend and your arrival would be a lead balloon. Life isn't like the movies I'm afraid.

YetAnotherGuy Wed 21-Dec-16 21:22:43

We don't have enough facts

Define your relationship, how long it's been going on etc

My answer would be very different if you had 2 x DC and had known each other for 20 years, as opposed to a mainly online friendship where you had met up twice, for example

NotTheFordType Wed 21-Dec-16 21:44:51

If you've watched one or more "rom-com" then yes, you've watched too many.

I would call the fucking cops if someone I'd told to do one unexpectedly turned up on my doorstep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now