Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Practical advice about leavin please

(3 Posts)
anyname123 Sun 18-Dec-16 10:53:25

Hello, I've posted before about DP drinking too much, generally being an arse, and now I want to get my house in order, with a view to leaving in Jan. He won't object as he is clearly as unhappy as I am. What I'm a bit stuck on is the practicalities.
We have a 2m/o child, and I'm on mate leave. I can stay with relatives initally, but for various reasons this wouldn't work long term. The house is his, I have no claim to it. What will I be entitled to, help wise? I've tried the calculator online, but I think it's skewed as it's based on my last year's earnings, which have obviously reduced as I'm on mat leave.
My salary is 32k, but I'd like to go back 3 days a week and earn ad hoc from weekend shifts when I have free childcare (I work in health care so this is realsitic). Rents where I live are cheap, probably 500 a month for a 2 bed.
Aside from the finances what do I need to consider about being a single patent? Is there anything I need to do now to get prepared?
Any help is genuinely appreciated.

ALaughAMinute Sun 18-Dec-16 12:01:09

The CAB are probably the best place to advise you. Defininley worth a trip I would say.

I'm glad you have relatives that can support you. flowers

anyname123 Mon 19-Dec-16 10:45:06

Thanks Laugh. As well as the finances I'm just wondering if anyone can give me brutally honest advice on being a single parent, the highs and lows, especially with a baby so small.
My relationship isn't completely horrific, just very disappointing and frustrating, if I can't cut it as a single parent I may be better staying put

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now