Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Ol' communication debacle.

(5 Posts)
tohaveandhavenot Sat 17-Dec-16 05:55:31

My husband is depressed - that in itself is hard to deal with.

Talking to him about anything serious (money, jobs, even politics) is just such hard work. I always leave most serious conversations feeling like oh that's right we probably shouldn't be together.

The rest of the time 70% we are fine, we laugh a lot together, he is loyal great with the kids and I find him extremely attractive.

Any thoughts? I'm not quite sure what I am asking except for maybe similar situations?

pklme Sat 17-Dec-16 06:00:15

I suppose talk about them as little as possible, and focus on the areas you can connect. The 70%, if you see what I mean. Being partner of someone with depression is tough. I sometimes think half the women I know on ADs are people whose husbands should be on ADs, not them.

tohaveandhavenot Sat 17-Dec-16 06:21:22

The depression is so hard to deal with. I feel like I am walking on egg shells half the time.

tohaveandhavenot Sat 17-Dec-16 06:21:56

And yes he won't bloody go well go to the doctor

pklme Sat 17-Dec-16 07:13:47

Classic! I think I'd be inclined to give him a deadline. Explain it impacts you, he isn't thinking clearly, and needs more help than you can offer on your own, so he must go to doctor. Tell him you will take him and go in with him if it helps. Book the appointment. Don't get emotional when you tell him about it, don't use an anxious or loud voice. Just be casual, so his protective defences don't ramp up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now