Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Keeping my name and title

(64 Posts)
butterfly92 Thu 15-Dec-16 21:16:41

If i get married can i still call myself miss instead of mrs and keep it on all important documents and paperwork? Cos i want to keep my surname as well

Softkitty2 Thu 15-Dec-16 21:19:13

I think its more appropriate to be a Ms when you are married but do not want to disclose the fact.

So it will be Ms your surname

AgainPlease Thu 15-Dec-16 21:23:44

Traditionally 'Miss' is used for unmarried young ladies.

Ms is more appropriate.

... Yah my mum put my through years of etiquette lessons blush

AliceInHinterland Thu 15-Dec-16 21:26:57

You can use Miss if you like, your title is not legally part of your name.
here
I'm not sure what you mean by more appropriate Softkitty, men do not reveal their marital status in their title, why should women if they prefer not to?
As an aside, I'm assuming you're born in 1992 - are you sure you're allowed to get married?! That makes me feel very old (eighties child here, like to think I'm still early twenties).

CelticPromise Thu 15-Dec-16 21:28:19

You can call yourself whatever you choose.

CMOTDibbler Thu 15-Dec-16 21:28:27

Of course you can use whatever honorative you want!

AliceInHinterland Thu 15-Dec-16 21:29:05

I'm assuming the OP knows what 'Miss' is traditionally used for, apologies if I've misunderstood (no pun intended) and she is genuinely asking for advice on what it means.

2cats2many Thu 15-Dec-16 21:29:10

You can call yourself what you want. I vary between Miss and Ms all the time.

RedMapleLeaf Thu 15-Dec-16 21:31:03

Yes, you can use any title you like. I prefer no title but if forced I use Ms. I am unmarried.

EllaHen Thu 15-Dec-16 21:31:16

I am Ms Myname. A lot of companies address me as Miss though as I did sweet FA to change it. Much prefer Miss to Mrs anyway.

Blacksox Thu 15-Dec-16 21:33:45

My friend is a Ms but gets frustrated that people think she's divorced or, in a couple of cases, a lesbian!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 15-Dec-16 21:34:23

I randomly use miss or ms maiden name

PoldarksBreeches Thu 15-Dec-16 21:35:12

Of course you can. I happen to think that Ms is more appropriate for a woman whether married or not as Miss is for girls IMO but you can keep Miss if you like it.

DrSeuss Thu 15-Dec-16 21:36:17

It's 2016. How are we even still having this conversation? Call yourself Miss/Ms/Mrs Any Surname. I didn't change my name when I married in 1997 and it was far less common then. People mostly just dealt with it although my MIL was less than thrilled.

EdithWeston Thu 15-Dec-16 21:37:44

I never changed my name, and have used Ms since my late teens (ie before and after marriage)

I find most people and organisations have no problem whatsoever with this.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 15-Dec-16 21:38:07

You can call yourself what you like.

qumquat Thu 15-Dec-16 21:54:36

As others have said call yourself whatever you like! I alternate pretty freely between Miss and Ms and would do the same if I were married.

Doik Thu 15-Dec-16 21:56:59

I changed my surname but remained Miss.

FaFoutis Thu 15-Dec-16 21:57:57

Call yourself what you like. You'll still get Christmas cards addressed to Mr and Mrs Husband'sfirstname Husband'ssurname.

3 this week. The fuckers.

BratFarrarsPony Thu 15-Dec-16 21:59:23

of course you can! It is your name after all.

celtiethree Thu 15-Dec-16 22:03:38

Plus Christmas cheque in your married name, and personalised gifts from 'not on the high street' in your family name!!!

BrassicaBabe Thu 15-Dec-16 22:05:11

I've had a heap of stuff recently addressed to mr & mrs <his first name><married surname>. It makes me stand on a soap box each and every time.

And, yes, I know the etiquette background and that Mrs <my name><surname> means I'm widowed. But feck we need to recognise that HRH Victoria is dead and move forwards. SiL - I'm looking at you!!!!

FaFoutis Thu 15-Dec-16 22:23:39

I'm bloody DR. Never ever Mrs. You could probably tell by looking at me that my name is not Richard, or David, or Jeremy.

Lorelei76 Thu 15-Dec-16 22:28:14

Of course you can but why not Ms? It's the equivalent of Mr. The more women use it, the less likely we are to be filed by marital status, which I think is what you're aiming for?

FaFoutis Thu 15-Dec-16 22:29:41

Ms means divorced to me. You are right though, if more women use it that association will be lost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now