Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Older children and dating

(3 Posts)
tsonlyme Sun 27-Nov-16 08:16:42

My girls are 17&19, both out of education and working, they live with me and their dad is not far away, we've been separated for nearly a year.

I have been dating, lots of first dates, not many second dates and a couple of things that have turned interesting but not lasted very long for various reasons. I haven't introduced anyone to my girls but how much should I be telling them? My eldest asks questions and I'm generally quite honest with her, she knows about the two I was seeing for a while and I tell her about first dates if she asks. My youngest doesn't want to know much but told me not to say that I'm meeting a 'friend' if in fact I'm going on a date, she says she always knows anyway (it's all about which shoes I'm wearing apparently 😄).

Given that they are young adults and can be left alone overnight, which has happened on a couple of occasions with forewarning, should I be discussing this with them or keeping schtum?

Trifleorbust Sun 27-Nov-16 13:42:10

The 19 year old is an adult and the 17 year old is about to be. Just be honest.

DiegeticMuch Sun 27-Nov-16 18:10:25

They're clearly quite comfortable about the fact that you want to meet someone, so you might as well be honest.

It's always a good idea when dating to tell someone where you are (and with whom) anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now