Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Alcoholic friend

(6 Posts)
Freesialala Wed 23-Nov-16 02:32:31

Please help. My dear friend has gone beyond the point of no return and body is breaking down. Cirrhosis and ascetis. I am devastated, my best mate is slowly fading and I can't cope. Does anyone have any experience in this? I bloody don't, I just don't know what to do, can't stop crying. I don't even know what I'm expecting, I want someone to make this all go away. There have been so many opportunities to change and now it's too late.

griffinsss Wed 23-Nov-16 02:55:27

I really didn't want to read and run because my heart really goes out to you, OP. I don't have any advice except general self care for yourself and making a checklist to make sure that YOU keep functioning despite it all. What you describe is my worst nightmare for my brother; he's been struggling with addiction since he was a teenager (now in his 30s) and I'm so terrified. I also lost my best friend (coincidentally the brother's wife) to a car accident a few years ago and it's incredibly tough, I wish I could tell you that it gets easier but it hasn't for me yet. This thread is a little too close to home for me I'm afraid so I probably won't be popping back, I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for your whole situation and wish you the best. flowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowers

EasyToEatTiger Thu 24-Nov-16 16:33:53

It's heartbreaking to lose someone when you hope beyond all hope that something will make them better. A dear friend of mine succeeded in killing herself in her early 30s through booze and eating disorders. I phoned her only to be told that her funeral had taken place in the weeks before. I am sorry. It is a difficult time.

Freesialala Sun 27-Nov-16 00:22:09

Thankyou both for your kind words. It's just so sad. I've been crying a lot at times and that seems to help but it all just seems so ridiculous and avoidable. My friend is kind, funny and talented. Sometimes I wish alcohol had never been invented, it causes such misery.
I'm sorry for your friend Tiger, early 30s is no age and there's no way of making that ok. I hope you got to make your peace in your own way.
Hoping your brother turns things around griffin, and so grateful you reached out to me when things are obviously so painful for you right now.

CiaoVerona Sun 27-Nov-16 01:43:25

I Has he availed of Detox in the past, if hes that bad he'll get admitted into a Detox has he ever obtained an type of sobriety in the past.
Key to this, is does he want to get sober with the greatest will in the world, those in active addiction Have to want to stop- is he in that group.

Emmageddon Sun 27-Nov-16 02:58:03

I lost a friend to alcoholism, she was in her 30s too, with a 7yo DD. She tried so hard to get sober but recovery never stuck. It's heartbreaking and I am sending you strength and love to get through this. Alcohol is a terrible addiction and so difficult to get away from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now