Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mixed messages

(7 Posts)
Ericthesnail Mon 21-Nov-16 17:15:23

I would really appreciate some views on this. I find one of my colleagues at work very attractive. We are both single and he has recently come out of a long term relationship. Recently we were working late and were the only two in the office. He told me that there is a rumour going round our team that he and I are having an affair. We laughed about it and the conversation moved onto other things.

I'm really confused by the whole thing. I don't understand why he told me this as it has made uncomfortable in the office around him and the team. Any views on why he would have said it would be greatly appreciated.

Lostandlonely1979 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:33:25

Sounds like he was testing the waters and probably fancies you. Though I'd sound the big old warning bell that he's just come out of a LTR and is probably just looking for a bit of fun. Which could potentially blow up at work.

I guess I'd just tread carefully - if you like your job :-)

Happybunny19 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:18:51

I second what Lost and lonely said. Beware of mixing romance and work.

MagicSocks Mon 21-Nov-16 20:25:50

Agree with the other posters that he was probably trying to get an idea of how you feel about him, but do be careful. Is there a policy on relationships between colleagues where you work?

nelsonscolumn Tue 22-Nov-16 00:07:13

Thanks for the replies. There is no prohibition on relationships at work as long as you are not a direct supervisor (which doesn’t apply to us) but I do take the point about relationships and work. And that he has just come out of a LTR so I think I need to be very wary.

nelsonscolumn Tue 22-Nov-16 00:12:29

Sorry. Name change fail!!

KindDogsTail Tue 22-Nov-16 00:17:16

I agree with other posters and say watch out, because he may be looking to use you for light relief/*affair*. That does not mean a relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now