Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What would you make of this?

(20 Posts)
user1478624707 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:32:57

A man has been with his girlfriend for over 3 years, has proposed to her, is very romantic and passionate. He gets a letter from his ex girlfriend who he split up with a few months before he met current partner.

He replies to his ex and denies that he has a girlfriend or that he has ever mentioned any other girls and only refers to someone he has "fucked". The letter is addressed to "dearest X" (ex girlfriend's name) in red ink (rest of letter is blue ink) and her name on the envelope is also written in red ink. He writes in the letter that the ex was very important to him and that he has fond memories of the (past) relationship.

If you were the current (fiance) of the man, what would you think if you read his response to his ex?

ByeByeLilSebastian Tue 08-Nov-16 17:34:37

I'd be wondering why he is pretending I don't exist to start with

Myusernameismyusername Tue 08-Nov-16 17:37:42

Apart from pretending his GF doesn't exsist was there an attempt to get back with Ex? It's hard with little context.
Obviously the ink portrays great detail gone into it
He didn't contact her first but his response is weird

Montane50 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:05:51

Id be wondering a few things:
Why deny your existence
How was the letter left? I.e was it closure, or encouraging more contact?
Is he 13? Who on earth uses red pen to write a girls name??(did it have s.w.a.l.k on the back?)

PurplePen Tue 08-Nov-16 18:06:40

I'd be wondering who writes a letter these days?

PurplePen Tue 08-Nov-16 18:07:46

Did he dot his "i's" with little hearts?

TheNaze73 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:11:09

I'd be thinking, why did the ex contact him in the first place, if she knew he was engaged & be wondering what her motive was.

oldlaundbooth Tue 08-Nov-16 18:12:10

I'd be asking where the door is...

WatchingFromTheWings Tue 08-Nov-16 18:15:29

He's denying you exist in order to get back with his ex. I'd dump him.

Nocabbageinmyeye Tue 08-Nov-16 18:17:13

I'd be pissed off with the Judas denying me for a start and I'd wonder about his mental age with the different coloured inks too hmm

HuskyLover1 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:18:22

He is clearly hoping to get back with her.

As for writing her name in red and the letter in blue, he just sounds like an immature knob.

TheNaze73 Tue 08-Nov-16 18:36:10

Just out of interest OP, you are the current fiancé right?

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 08-Nov-16 18:39:26

I'd ask the ex-gf why she showed me the letter.

Or

I'd ask the bf why he wrote it, didn't send it, and left it somewhere for me to read.

OreoCat Tue 08-Nov-16 18:41:23

Either that or she is the ex and wondering whether to let the current fiancé know.

Either way, both women are better off without Mr Smooth Writer himself, what an ass.

SandyY2K Tue 08-Nov-16 18:54:20

If I was the current girlfriend/fiancée, I'd be thinking he's not over the Ex and is looking to cheat on me with the Ex or to break up with me if the Ex is interested.

If I was the Ex, I'd think he was hoping to use me for some side fun and knows I wouldn't be up for it if I knew he was engaged. If I still liked him, I'd convince myself he must still care for me ... with my name in red, but I'd also be thinking he must love his fiancée or why propose to her.

ALaughAMinute Tue 08-Nov-16 18:55:12

His behaviour is unforgivable. The girlfriend shoud ditch him and consider she's had a lucky escape.

HolyshitIfuckedupbigtime Tue 08-Nov-16 20:00:48

I would be thinking why did he propose? Side fun as above.

Featherybum Tue 08-Nov-16 21:53:26

I'd be assuming he was trying to get into ex's pants tbh, and if I was the current gf/fiance I'd be running a fecking mile. That is not the behaviour of someone happy and settled with their future life partner

LuluJakey1 Tue 08-Nov-16 22:18:58

I would think he was an immature twat and dump him. It is all kinds of wrong.

Notagain16 Tue 08-Nov-16 22:24:54

I haven't sent or received a letter for twenty years confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now