Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Facebook/ tinder- advice for the incompetent!

(8 Posts)
Clawdeen Mon 31-Oct-16 09:31:29

Having had a week of moping after being ghosted, I've decided to bite the Tinder bullet. However I've never had Facebook as I hate the idea of people getting in touch with me, knowing my business etc.

Anyway, I read that I could set up a fake Facebook account so I did this with a brand new email address. I used my real first name and a fake surname.

I thought I was good to go and was about to start uploading photos so they'll appear on tinder, when I received 3 friend requests from actual friends, and a list of suggested friends ( all of which I know!)

How has this happened?!

Is it possible to remain incognito on Facebook?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 31-Oct-16 09:34:52

Not easily, the algorithms will desperately try to link you. Also, it's a violation of Facebooks terms to use fake names (so you could lose the account and all photos etc, which may be worth the risk to you!) and you may find people on Tinder are cautious of talking to/meeting someone with a new profile, no friends and few pictures. It looks either fake or catfish-y.

If you don't want a real Facebook, I'd definitely look at alternatives to Tinder.

9troubledwaters Mon 31-Oct-16 09:40:02

I get people you may know suggestions when I've swopped numbers with them. Are you sure you didn't put your mobile number down?
Weird how they would know its you though as mob number not displayed.
Perhaps theyre the type of people who just friend anyone that's suggested?

Clawdeen Mon 31-Oct-16 09:47:54

Oh dear! Yes I do think I had to enter my mobile number so I guess it must have come from that.

Hadn't thought that I might look cat fish-y! That's a valid point. Just so wary of Facebook as have very abusive ex so try to keep a very low profile in general.

I braved the world of online dating signing up to Guardian soulmates but it's been very disappointing. Kept hearing about the wonders of tinder so thought I'd give it a go. Proving more difficult than I anticipated!

LesisMiserable Mon 31-Oct-16 10:02:01

You can set up your own facebook with a new email and use your secuirty settings to kerp it completely private from everyone - tinder doesnt give people access to your facebook.

Clawdeen Mon 31-Oct-16 11:39:32

So by changing security settings, could I keep my Facebook entirely private from anyone- so I wouldn't get friend requests etc?

LesisMiserable Mon 31-Oct-16 12:07:40

Yes. I think so. Its only linked to tinder by your profile picture and any mutual friends (of which there will be none obviously) you might have with prospective matches

LesisMiserable Mon 31-Oct-16 12:08:38

You could even put in a pretend phone number just to be sure. (1 digit different?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now