Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Scared to start online dating - please help!

(4 Posts)
HeckyWithTheGoodBear Sat 29-Oct-16 20:01:24

Any tips? I've downloaded tinder, and had a few matches, and one message just saying hello.

But I'm scared to message back! Or message first, or whatever. What do we chat about?

I broke up with my exP a few months ago, and he's been my only proper relationship really. I've never done anything like this before.

I'm quite young, with a DD aswell, which I feel makes it more complicated (how many mid twenties men will be interested in a single mum?). And when do I mention her? I have got a photo of us 2 together on my profile (a few photos along).

I haven't even got a bio written.. everything I think of seems so cringey. I keep deleting and deactivating my profile, and I haven't even spoke to anyone yet!

But I'm lonely, I'm not a big fan of being single and even now my ex is texting me all the time telling me how nobody will ever fancy me etc.

Could really do with the confidence boost of a date or two! But I don't even know where to begin and I'm so nervous.

Hyggeligt Sat 29-Oct-16 21:25:39

Hi there hecky
I started online dating about 4 weeks ago and was soooo nervous.
Come and say hi on the dating thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/2763700-Online-Dating-and-this-is-a-thread-for-while-we-are-waiting-Dating-thread-109?pg=9

Everyone is at different stages of joining and dating, it's a great thread!

jeaux90 Sat 29-Oct-16 21:48:27

Erm I would say tinder is not that great. Pof or match is better. Tinder is a bit more meat market. But look, I have had lots of fun with OLD. Made a couple of really good friends, had a short term things with a couple of dudes I met but take it slow. Get your profile done and don't bother messaging back if you don't like their profile. Always talk to them before you meet them for a date and check them out online to make sure they are who they say they are, plenty of catfish out there!! Deep breath, crack on, have fun, stay safe xxxxxx

RestlessTraveller Sat 29-Oct-16 22:17:02

1. Please take the photo of you and your daughter off your profile. It may attract the wrong sort.

2. Of course you can message first. Read his profile and find something to talk or ask a question about. I never messaged people back who simply said 'Hi'.

3. I met my fiancé on tinder, but I know I was lucky. POF is vile. Try OKCupid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now