Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Just broke up with long-term DP. Hand holding needed.

(12 Posts)
tooyoungtobeamrs Fri 28-Oct-16 01:10:03

After 5 years together, tonight I broke up with DP. I know it is the right thing to do. I have been thinking about doing this for over a year.

It still feels awful though sad

We both cried loads and now I will have to find another place to live and move out.

Life just feels so hard right now. Please tell me I'll be fine sad

Haggisfish Fri 28-Oct-16 01:14:48

It will be fine. Better to do it now than in another five years time. Allow yourself to feel sad-it's totally natural. Be kind to yourself.

ghostwatch Fri 28-Oct-16 01:41:22

I'm in the same boat but this comes after finding out about an affair and trying to work at it but tonight I ended things before coming to work. I'm thinking of changing my job because of childcare issues but don't have to move as it's my place. I'm trying to think of this as a fresh start. Lot of decisions to make at this kind of cross roads. I find Mumsnet a brilliant support. You clearly have come to the right place.

tooyoungtobeamrs Fri 28-Oct-16 02:02:51

Thank you Haggisfish and ghost for your kind words. It feels awful right now but I hope I will feel better sometimes soon.

Having to find a place in a hurry makes me anxious, I feel a bit lost right now.

ghostwatch Fri 28-Oct-16 02:08:11

It's scary isn't it. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. You can't stay with someone out of convienace after all. Do you have any kind of a plan.
P.s sometimes scary can be fun too!

tooyoungtobeamrs Fri 28-Oct-16 02:15:11

The plan is to quickly look for a temporary accommodation for a couple of months, just to get through the transition. Then I will look for something more stable afterwards, when things are more settled.

I hope I will be able to find something within a week. This is DP's place so I am the homeless one now.

ghostwatch Fri 28-Oct-16 03:07:10

I wish you every luck flowers stay strong

tooyoungtobeamrs Fri 28-Oct-16 11:04:58

Tough night. DP sobbed loudly until 4am. He said he was happy with me and that he loves me like day one.

I feel like I ruined his life right now sad

Lilaclily Fri 28-Oct-16 11:06:36

It's really not going to do you or him any good staying there even temporarily, could you book into a hotel or stay with a friend until you find somewhere?

tooyoungtobeamrs Fri 28-Oct-16 16:29:44

lilac you are right, I am moving to a friend's place tonight. I just can't go back there.

sexndrugsnsausagerolls Fri 28-Oct-16 19:39:20

I am three weeks on from exactly the same situation (except he was the one to move out), so sorry you are going through it too. I had been thinking about it for a year as well.

It's still hard but not as gut wrenching as the first few days. It will get better.

Shayelle Fri 28-Oct-16 19:56:13

Im about 3 months out of a 4 year relationship. It was extremely painful and sometimes still is but it gets easier. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now