Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What happens if a judge will not sign off on a financial settlement

(2 Posts)
notagainnellie Sun 16-Oct-16 21:46:03

At mediation we agreed no maintenance from me to him (he was sahd but left 2 years ago); not enough equity in the house to make it worth selling, but I can raise £17k on the mortgage and will give him 14K (less 50% marital debts). My solicitor has also advised to ask for divorce costs out of his share, but he doesn't know that yet. He also stated he wants none of my pension as he will get a sizable inheritance from his parents and I won't (and he apparently believes he will die before getting it anyway).

He has not seen a solicitor, but he knows what he is entitled to and the mediator told him often enough he should see one, and made it clear our settlement could be seen as unfair to him. He's not stupid or vulnerable. Solicitor has advised that the judge may not sign off on it, but what would happen then? Some things I have read suggest that they would ask to see him and then if satisfied would sign off on it, but that sounds too good to be true. Can they make people accept things they have said they don't want? If they did see us, would it be separately?

He also has MS, but is able to work. He has no pension arrangements as his mother's house is his pension apparently.

Any advice would be great.

wendywoopywoo222 Mon 17-Oct-16 15:15:18

When I divorced, our arrangement which we agreed between us was very one sided, the Judge asked to see us, We saw him together, explained our reasons for our decision, he confirmed with my husband that he hadn't been coerced and then he signed the agreement. Was very informal and quick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now