Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How does BIL get child benefit back from ex wife?

(11 Posts)
twinsufficient Sun 09-Oct-16 15:22:55

Have written on here before about my BIL and his beyond awful (now) ex wife. He has custody of their 2 children whilst she 'looks after' and I mean that loosely, her ds (13) from a previous relationship. The problem is that she is still claiming child benefit for all 3 children and working tax credits. Afaik she hasn't worked since 2014.

How does my BIL change this situation? Btw I look after his kids before and after school every day till 6 so that he doesn't have to pay for childcare. She, on the other hand is getting £800/month for doing sweet FA. Just after some advice as he's drowning under the stress of it all

PoldarksBreeches Sun 09-Oct-16 15:26:20

He needs to contact them and explain
It will take ages but he will get it eventually.

bloodyteenagers Sun 09-Oct-16 15:27:14

He makes a claim. They write to her, she denies they don't live with her, so they write back to him and ask for evidence. Don't know how she is getting working tax credits though if she isn't working, you sure its not chid tax credits.

LIZS Sun 09-Oct-16 15:28:20

Surely he can report her for benefit fraud and claim himself.

VioletBam Sun 09-Oct-16 15:29:06

He just needs to call the Tax Credits helpline and tell them. They'll want proof he has custody.

dementedpixie Sun 09-Oct-16 15:31:50

[]] tell him to do his own claim

dementedpixie Sun 09-Oct-16 15:32:10

foursillybeans Sun 09-Oct-16 15:35:01

I would imagine that the sooner he does it the better as they may back date the claim from the date he submits his claim.

SillySongsWithLarry Sun 09-Oct-16 15:36:27

Are you sure she is claiming WTC not CTC and she is getting £800? It's all real time now so employers pass on payroll details. They will know if she isn't working. Also I claim CTC with the severe disability premium and it isn't £800 (no WTC as wages too high). Nonetheless if BIL calls the relevant departments he can arrange to have the credits and benefits transferred over.

Sparklesilverglitter Sun 09-Oct-16 15:37:48

She must be committing an offence to claim for children that aren't in her care, benefit fraud surely?

I imagine he needs to call the child benefit and explain the whole situation, when they DC came to him for full custody etc. I imagine it will take an age as it does with these places but it will get resolved in the end

Starlight2345 Sun 09-Oct-16 16:03:35

My ex did this...the mum received a letter something along the lines of she had 12 weeks to depute it..This was about 8 years ago though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now