Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Confusing behaviour?

(4 Posts)
TommyJones Sun 09-Oct-16 00:38:22

I have a female friend that I have been getting closer too recently. Last week we went out for dinner and she was constantly making eye contact and leaning into me. I felt a bit scared at first, but then started to think actually this feels right flirting with her in this way.

Then we were out at a party last night and she did the same eye contact thing again. But then she was telling me later on about how I had not realised she had introduced me to her friend because she thought we would hit it off romantically. So why is she flirting with me (at least to me staring into each others eyes is flirtatious and beyond what I would expect to do with "just a friend") one minute and then trying to set me up the next? I am really confused now!

GarlicMist Sun 09-Oct-16 01:54:20

Blimey, I don't know! Could be all sorts of things. Does she flirt quite a lot with other people? I've been told I flirt with everyone, any sex or age, but I don't think I'm flirting - I'm just paying them some attention.

Did you respond the same way towards her? I mean, if she was giving you a green light, were you doing the same back?

Why were you scared?

It's possible that:
a] She likes you but "not in that way"
b] She wasn't giving you a come-on after all
c] She does fancy you, but lacks confidence
d] She genuinely sees you & her friend as a good match
e] You've been creeping her out and she's trying to shunt you

It would make sense to tell her you'd rather be with her than her mate, don't you think?

TommyJones Sun 09-Oct-16 11:37:02

Well yes, I was also looking into her eyes back.

I was scared because I have got involved with friends before, and it can end up with you not being as close friends afterwards.

HuskyLover1 Sun 09-Oct-16 11:41:21

If you want to date her, ask her. Simples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now