Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Housing Benefit

(21 Posts)
Hotwaterbottle1 Sun 02-Oct-16 19:29:59

Posting in here for traffic. Posted before about being separated but living together. Things got awful today and I left after him bring intimidating. At my parents. Kids still at home. If I rent somewhere will I still get housing benefit if my name still on mortgage? We can sell yet until some building work is done. I'm desperate for advice please?

cheesecadet Sun 02-Oct-16 19:37:13

Yes. I do smile

Iamdobby63 Sun 02-Oct-16 19:54:12

I don't know, although it sounds hopeful from the poster above.

How long until building work is finished, have you hired builders?

Hotwaterbottle1 Sun 02-Oct-16 20:01:08

Thanks cheese.

No my stbex is doing it... Or supposed to be 😕

Iamdobby63 Sun 02-Oct-16 20:07:51

And he doesn't want to separate? I think you do need to push this forward so renting,if you can, is for the best.

Hotwaterbottle1 Tue 04-Oct-16 08:08:43

He doesn't but there is no going back.

AnotherEmma Tue 04-Oct-16 08:16:42

Who is / will be the main carer for the children? If it's you, you should stay in the family home with them and he should move out. But he sounds abusive so I'm guessing he wouldn't go willingly?

You really need professional advice. Call Women's Aid on 0808 2000 247 for practical advice and emotional support. You could also talk to Citizens Advice about your benefit entitlement and housing options. Lastly, you may be entitled to legal aid but only if you report the abuse. You could call the free Rights of Women family law helpline for advice on your legal options.

Ideally you would get an occupation order for him to leave the house. But the most important thing is getting support and ensuring that you and your children are safe.

Are you confident that the children are safe at home with him? Do you want them with you?

Myusernameismyusername Tue 04-Oct-16 08:48:56

I was refused when my name was on a mortgage. Really have to check with your local council. Mine basically said the house must be sold first

I lived with my mum until I could rent

Myusernameismyusername Tue 04-Oct-16 08:50:04

Basically my council had a rule saying that I had made myself intentionally homeless and that I had a property to go to so they had no obligation to assist me.

PinkSquash Tue 04-Oct-16 08:52:39

I get HB even though I'm named on a mortgage, but I fled from abuse so I think that's classed differently to normal

AnotherEmma Tue 04-Oct-16 09:00:56

In my area, people fleeing abusive relationships are given priority on the housing list, if they have dependent children that is. CAB will confirm but I suspect you will be entitled to HB as well... though not if you're living with family, obviously.

InTheseFlipFlops Tue 04-Oct-16 09:03:41

my council wouldn't entertain it despite the abuse. But I had no children at the time.
Speak to women's aid as it sounds like they will be able to advise you with specifics

Lacoba66 Tue 04-Oct-16 12:33:10

Hi OP. Hope this gives you more clarification.

Hotwaterbottle1 Tue 04-Oct-16 13:24:15

Still finding it confusing. I'm in Scotland. I can't get through to CAB to even get an appointment. I desparately want to be with my children xx

AnotherEmma Tue 04-Oct-16 13:58:36

Try Women's Aid and/or Rights of Women.

How sure are you that the children are safe?

Hotwaterbottle1 Tue 04-Oct-16 14:25:50

Rights of women is England & Wales only. No reply from women's aid. Finally got through to cab, first appt available 20th Oct. They can't even give me phone advice. I'm worried staying away from home that long I lose rights. I'm going there every day at 7am (when he has left) to get kids sorted for school and after work to cook dinner, see them. Then leaving before he gets home.

He would never hurt the kids. I'm 100% sure.

Lacoba66 Tue 04-Oct-16 14:35:51

OP the same rules apply in Scotland.

Basically you are allowed 26 weeks worth of HB from the date you left the joint home. After this is you can prove that you are taking all reasonable steps to sell the property, then you may be allowed an extension. Obviously any amount of HB you are entitled to will depend on other circs, such as any savings and the size of the property that you decide to rent (local housing allowance rates apply).

The 2nd picture para 25 explains the above.
I would contact the local council and ask an adviser to confirm.

Hotwaterbottle1 Tue 04-Oct-16 14:44:30

Thank you lacoba. That worries me he won't finish it in 6 months. I can't get through to council so have sent them an online enquiry.

AnotherEmma Tue 04-Oct-16 16:47:51

Glad you got through to CAB, shame they can't offer an appointment before 20th Oct but better late than never I suppose!

I hope you can get through to Women's Aid soon. If you're having trouble reaching anyone via the national helpline, you could always try sending an email enquiry or looking up local services on their website to see if you have better luck that way.

Hidingtonothing Tue 04-Oct-16 16:59:22

The national Women's Aid number gets really busy so it can be very difficult to get through, do try Emma's suggestion for local services, you can search for what's available here

Hotwaterbottle1 Tue 04-Oct-16 19:46:26

Thank you, appreciated all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now