Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Finally left EA husband, he stopped me taking my possessions, and is barricading me out of house when I have access rights.

(9 Posts)
Velvetrevolution Sat 01-Oct-16 21:55:06

After years of unhappiness, I decided my husband was never going to leave, or have any meaningful dialogue about separation.
So I arranged a rental, which he found out about. I had owned a house before I met him, so was planning to take some items of furniture, that were mine before I met him. When the removers came round, he called the police, and because he disputed my items I couldn't take them.
All I was able to take was clothes. We have more than enough toys to have some at each house😒. My solicitor had assured me I could move my own property.
I have had to set up in my new place from scratch. He is barricading himself in, and me out, of the house and is on his third week signed off work. I legally have access rights, but police won't help.
Also, he had threatened not to pay mortgage, which could easily go into arrears.
He is drinking daily, and has just had one son for one night.

theansweris42 Sat 01-Oct-16 22:48:54

Velvet I have no expertise but am sorry you're going through this.
There must be some legal redress?
Is H able to properly look after son?

theansweris42 Sat 01-Oct-16 22:49:32

Have you spoken to lender?

FV45 Sat 01-Oct-16 22:51:53

What reason have the police given for not helping you to get access?

Velvetrevolution Sat 01-Oct-16 22:57:04

I phoned the police, and they said they wouldn't normally get involved as it was a civil matter, rather than a criminal one.

FV45 Sun 02-Oct-16 18:27:28

It's a form of domestic abuse which is a criminal matter, isn't it?

Cary2012 Sun 02-Oct-16 18:32:43

Could WA help and intervene? They have legal experts who must have dealt with this before? If not you need legal advice, have you told your solicitor about him doing this?

Iamdobby63 Sun 02-Oct-16 18:36:37

Unless there is a legal document I guess the police will only help you obtaining personal belongings, I do think toys should be included in that.

Get a solicitor asap, speak to your lender - you may be able to put mortgage on hold to be paid back once sold.

Hissy Mon 03-Oct-16 16:16:14

Do not allow your child to be alone with a man as abusive and unstable as this.

Get legal advice fast and get an order for return of your property.

Otherwise just leave it all and live your life free and safe from this wanker.

Keep your DC safe. Keep them away from him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now