Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to save a relationship after PND destroyed it

(3 Posts)
PNDHelpMe Sat 01-Oct-16 13:19:20

I have recently been diagnosed with PND 2.5 years after my DD was born. It's clear to me now that I have had it since her birth but put my exhaustion, low mood, anxiety, lack of sex drive, lack of enjoyment of anything etc down to the pressures of having a new baby and not having enough sleep. I'm now on antiDs and having weekly sessions with a psychotherapist and the fog has lifted! I have more energy and motivation to do stuff socially and around the house and I just feel like me again.

However, my DP ended our relationship a few months back (it was this that caused me to wake up and get help for my depression) as he couldn't live with me any longer. He felt that I didn't love him, was so withdrawn he felt lonely, and he also struggled with my bad moods. But I do love him and I really miss him and I want our family back together.

Has anyone been through anything similar? How can I convince my exDP that it was the PND that made me withdrawn, not falling out of love with him?

Ninasimoneinthemorning Sat 01-Oct-16 13:25:10

Living with someone with MH Is very hard op he has probably taken an emotional battering.

I think you should completly focus on making yourself well again to get back to the 'old' you. You will still have s lot of work to do on 'you' if you have been unwell all thst time.

Regarding showing your dp it was the illness - you can't. All you can do is respect his decision to leave but let him know you are willing to give it another try but with no pressure on him.

Let him see you enjoying life and being back to the old you and doing work to yourself to make you a happy person again.

He has to come back of his own accord flowers

PNDHelpMe Sat 01-Oct-16 14:14:37

Thanks Nina, I think you're right. When he talks about our relationship he talks about seeing it crumble in front of him and feeling powerless to do anything. He's been very unhappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now