Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Today I am broken

(8 Posts)
BillericayDuckie Fri 30-Sep-16 10:38:12

My partner has gone on our holiday without me today, leaving me to start separating / packing my things ready to move out next week.

Up until now I guess I was hoping he would change his mind.

Today he went off with a mere, "see you in a week."

I am broken. Hard to see a way forward from here.

Iamdobby63 Fri 30-Sep-16 11:13:34

I'm so sorry 💐

Best foot forward, get it done and slowly move on. In the end it's for the best as you deserve someone who really appreciates and wants to be with you.

Try and set yourself up some treats or something nice to look forward to and keep busy.

BillericayDuckie Fri 30-Sep-16 12:09:28

Thank you Dobby.

Am taking it one step at a time. It's just all very raw.

Just didn't realise how hard it was going to be to be left behind today.

EllenRipley Fri 30-Sep-16 12:39:44

In these situations, men are very good at being cold, turning their backs to you and walking away. I've seen it happen time and again, and it is doubly devastating when, once they've decided to leave, they do so without emotion or apparent regard for what you are going through. Their sense of self preservation is very strong, leaving you utterly rejected. Try not see it as a reflection of you or anything you have, or could have done. It's what they often do and, I suspect, how they are wired. Use this time to start the grieving process and as horrible and as difficult as it is, be assured that you will get through it and you will come out the other side. Cry, scream, be sad, get angry - gather support around you. There are many women on here and in RL who've been through the same and they'll tell you it gets better. And it really sounds like you deserve better xx

MiddleClassProblem Fri 30-Sep-16 12:46:03

Maybe take a day or two to yourself and plan the packing in your head/on paper before you start so it seems like a job to do rather than the emotional crap that it is.

Maybe have a day to feel how raw it is and a day to do things that can pick you up a little? Or two of the latter?

Humblebee1 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:26:42

Doesn't mean he's having fun, let him have it. You can at least have your space to get what you want/need and collect your thoughts in a calm environment in privacy.

BillericayDuckie Fri 30-Sep-16 14:45:15

Thank you all so much.

Middle - planning the packing on paper for a day or so is an excellent idea. Saves me feeling worse and a complete failure for only being able to sit and cry when I should be sorting, but sorting through our things just makes me want to cry more.

MiddleClassProblem Fri 30-Sep-16 14:55:01

But that's ok and a perfectly normal reaction for what you're going through. Allow yourself sometime to let it out as if you keep feeling like a failure for crying you will just make it harder and be beating yourself up along with being upset about what you're going through.

Let yourself grieve the relationship and then crack on. There will be moments when you're packing that you need to let it out again but that's fine, let it out, don't be hard on yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now