Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm best of single aren't I?

(8 Posts)
Maybesortofnice Mon 26-Sep-16 14:02:22

(NC because I mention sex shock grin. Its not a sex thread though)

Wondering if I am best off single as per thread title.
Have other posters reached this conclusion for similar or different reasons?
Am I missing something?

I am currently single after a very LTR. I have DC, don't want more, I can now turn my hand to DIY, I can get by reasonably well with masturbation, I much much prefer the company of women over men. I don't want another man but I'm not gay. I am occasionally lonely, I do miss companionship in the evenings, but generally prefer being by myself.

TheSparrowhawk Mon 26-Sep-16 14:05:59

You're better off single than in a not very good/awful relationship. If you're happy being single, carry on. You may find someone who's great, you may not.

Maybesortofnice Mon 26-Sep-16 14:07:46

Grrr.. typo in title. Sorry.

Dayna1 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:12:17

It is a much complicated question to give a simple answer to. If I had to try to give a simple one, it would be something like this: weigh the positives and negatives + weigh the potential positives and negatives of another relationship too. That is when you know whether you are better off single or not imho.

Maybesortofnice Mon 26-Sep-16 14:37:04

I guess it might just happen. I think meeting potential partners would involve some degree of conscious decision/effort.

There seems to be an assumption with friends and therapy - and society - that I will of course want to be in a relationship at some point. It just suddenly occurred to me that i simply have no need for a man.

Maybe what I need is a fellow "spinster" (horrible word) to grow old with and keep me company.

TheNaze73 Mon 26-Sep-16 15:30:08

I think it's too big a question to be honest. There are benefits of both being single & a relationship & as life evolves it'll be an ever moving feast. If it feels right, it normally is, so stay single if you feel that way inclined

BlancheDevereux Mon 26-Sep-16 15:37:07

There's nothing wrong with choosing to not be in a relationship.

However, life changes. Go with the flow. Right now you probably are better off single. But never say never. Things may change and who knows when.

Maybesortofnice Mon 26-Sep-16 16:12:05

A big question as in there isn't really an answer? I tend to post without having worked out what I'm asking. I suppose my light bulb moment was, I can do it all myself, i have no need for a man. But that doesn't sound great.

It felt liberating.
I'm interested in being single as a choice.

I get that there doesn't need to be a fixed answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now