Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do you do when you can't agree how to parent?

(4 Posts)
FluffyBunnyWithBaseballBat Wed 14-Sep-16 10:02:08

I was reading a thread yesterday where someone commented how important it is for parents to have a unified front as DC head towards the teenage years. It's been on my mind for a long time that DH and I have very different views on how to parent - I try to follow positive parenting (i.e. recognizing good, empathy, allowing all feeling - I'm a big fan of Adele Faber), DH is what I'd call more old school (i.e. Tolerate no nonsense, lots of telling off and criticism, a real disciplinarian - it's very much his way or no way).

We've kind of muddled through till now, but I really don't like how he parents as I feel it will isolate DC from us as the get older at best and at worst may damage their self esteem; he thinks I molly-coddle them and probably is partially right there.

I'm actually really concerned as we head towards the teenage years how we will manage and I'd be interested to hear others views on what you would do. I do sometimes think about leaving DH and going it alone but I really hope that is not the best answer.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Wed 14-Sep-16 12:32:47

Will he discuss it with you? Is he a reasonable person and able to see the long-term consequences of his actions?

Joysmum Wed 14-Sep-16 14:05:01

And her actions.

Positive parenting can only go so far.

You sound like you both need to compromise.

6demandingchildren Wed 14-Sep-16 14:59:42

Talk and find a middle ground

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now