Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Are flower good idea?

(13 Posts)
user1473613026 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:05:40

Hello folks. I will keep it in short.
So there's one foreign girl, who I got attached to recently. I really do like her (I suppose I may even love her, not sure yet) but chances that our relationship may work are really low, as she lives abroad and visits us rarely.
She is going to visit soon, so I thought about greeting her at airport with some white roses. She is going to be with her mom and she also does not know that I may be having some feelings for her. Is it going to be awkward? Will she change her opinion about me? I for one, don't want to ruin our friendship, and I am doing this because I respect and care for her.
I don't want to her to think that I am kind of obsessed or something, just few white roses, to please her. What do you think? Bad idea?

MephistoMarley Sun 11-Sep-16 18:08:24

Yeah, don't do that. It's far too much, especially as she doesn't know how you feel and her mum will be with her. Forget grand gestures, just talk to her.

jeaux90 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:08:48

Flowers are always lovely, and I think it's very thoughtful of you but to be presented them in front of her family might be a little embarrassing.

user1473613026 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:12:10

I am pretty sure, her mom will be positive about this. Just a gift to a friend? no?

MephistoMarley Sun 11-Sep-16 18:27:35

Clearly it's not just a gift to a friend though flowers
1- friends don't turn up at airports with flowers as a rule
2- you are apparently in love with her so not her friend, you are her admirer. Friendship doesn't have agendas like you do

AnnettePrice Sun 11-Sep-16 18:33:29

Roses are NEVER a gift from a friend.
You will just put her in an awkward position.
Definite no no.
You will come over as obsessed or something.
Nice small bunch of multicoloured tulips to brighten her room whilst she is over, think that might come over as more thoughtful / appropriate and less intense. And more Mum friendly.

CountTessa Sun 11-Sep-16 18:36:13

Well my brother in law did this for my sister in front of my mum.

They've been married 11 years now.

LoveRosie2008 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:40:26

That would freak me right out. Always better to tell someone how you feel and risk your pride than doing odd things. Nice idea but could be taken badly.

MephistoMarley Sun 11-Sep-16 18:48:28

Haha my flowers in the last post was meant to be hmm
Please don't take them to be encouragement!

TheNaze73 Sun 11-Sep-16 19:03:29

You'd be crazy to do sonething like that. Just talk to her

JamieLannistersFuckButler Sun 11-Sep-16 20:00:52

No user1473613026, it is not "just a gift to a friend"!

At least in European or American culture (not sure where you are?), flowers from a man are nearly always a lover's gift.

Unless it's for your mom...even for this girl's mom, it would seem like "I want to make you like me because I really really like your daughter.

Don't embarass them smile

BerylStreep Sun 11-Sep-16 20:03:18

Flowers are a bit over the top, and in my view, quite emotionally manipulative.

Look, I did a nice thing that people do in movies. You've got to be nice to me!

SexTrainGlue Sun 11-Sep-16 20:16:09

She's only a girl and travelling with her Mum.

Bad idea to try to make romantic gestures to a child anyhow, and definitely not in these circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now