Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Happy now DP is away

(7 Posts)
Happiestfree Thu 08-Sep-16 21:20:46

My dp and I have a bit of a rocky relationship, we are up and down a lot but we have always been stable in the sense that we never think we might break up. We have 2 dc's together.
He is away for 2 weeks And I thought I'd really miss him. But we're on day 6 and i am loving the freedom. I can do what I want with dc and there's nobody to try and come to an agreement with. I am taking more responsibility for the house, cooking, washing clothes etc because it's just me. I'm quite enjoying being a single parent blush
I know this is not the reality of a single parent and I've only got it for 2 weeks so it's more like a holiday from coupledom. I just thought I'd miss him a bit!
What does it mean, do I not really love him?

Owllady Thu 08-Sep-16 21:24:07

My husband used to work away when our eldest were little and tbh I used to not dislike it like you
After 9 years it got a bit much though and he's worked more at home since then
It us what is the
We've been together 22 years now. I do sometimes wish he'd work away sometimes grin
I think it's just personality, it doesn't have to mean anything!

Owllady Thu 08-Sep-16 21:25:36

It is what is tbh
Sorry it auto corrected it. It is fed not like being a single parent at all. I agree smile

Greenandmighty Thu 08-Sep-16 22:27:20

I feel same op. I feel quite guilty admitting to friends in RL. I love the freedom when DH away. Personally, I feel that there's not real equality in my marriage so I feel I get myself back. I love having king size bed to myself and read late without having to worry about disturbing him. wink. I don't have to enquire about his day and don't feel so pressured about producing The Meal. To me, it suggests I don't feel wholly comfortable with Dh around and I guess that's true. But I think it's not uncommon to feel this way. We probably all relish a breather from our partners at times.

Happiestfree Thu 08-Sep-16 23:03:12

Omg, the pressure around The Meal! I feel exactly the same! When it's just me and dc I can do something really simple and everyone's satisfied. I think we're the same with not being truly equal. Never thought of that.

adora1 Fri 09-Sep-16 12:48:57

I'd worry about this, you should feel happier when together but then again, you can only feel happy if you are in a truly rewarding and equal relationship.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 09-Sep-16 12:54:51

Happiestfree,

re your comment:-
"My dp and I have a bit of a rocky relationship, we are up and down a lot but we have always been stable in the sense that we never think we might break up"

That does not sound like the basis for a solid relationship.

Why has your relationship been rocky previously?. Is your relationship really one of continuous great highs and crushing lows?.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now