Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sister hitting brother-in-law?

(3 Posts)
Czerny88 Wed 07-Sep-16 22:05:24

While I was visiting my parents, my sister, brother-in-law and nephew came round for a meal. During this meal my sister and her husband had a minor disagreement and she slapped him on the back of the head to make a point. Not particularly hard, but it wasn't done as a "joke" - she was clearly cross with him.

I don't feel this is acceptable simply because it was a woman hitting a man rather than vice versa, and also think it's a very bad example to set their son. I'm assuming that this is not the only time she has done something like this. Should I say something, or keep well out of it? I have mentioned it to my mum (who was there at the time, so it wasn't "telling tales").

My sister and her husband seem to have a close relationship, but she is often complaining about him or berating him for various perceived transgressions. I'm sure he's far from perfect, but from the outside he seems a pretty good husband and father who is reliable and hard-working.

tribpot Wed 07-Sep-16 22:09:04

I wouldn't be happy to see an adult treating a loved one so disrespectfully, regardless of gender. Maybe between siblings in a jokey kind of way but this was neither.

I would tackle her on it, maybe point out how people would (should) react if it was him slapping her.

helenatroy Wed 07-Sep-16 22:09:36

I wouldn't be happy either. Even if she was mucking around hitting another person is never ok or funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now