Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

STBXH taking DC on holiday- travel insurance

(8 Posts)
LakelandLassie Wed 07-Sep-16 17:49:40

My STBXH is taking the DC on a short break in Oct. This will be the first since we separated in Nov 15. He has form for big gestures but not thinking about everything else that goes along with that.
ie, petsitters/kennels, holiday clothes, insurance etc. In the past, I would have organised all this stuff, often at short notice.

They are going to Europe so I know they have valid EHIC cards but what do I do about travel insurance?

In theory, yes I know STBXH should be organizing it himself but I know (from previous trips) that he thinks an EHIC is enough.

Even if he does organise it, I suspect he wont declare DD1 medical issues as it will (obviously) push the price uphmm.

I want to arrange insurance for the DC so that they are covered but he can fend for/pay himself should anything happen.

Am I protecting my DC or still sorting out stuff I should just let him deal with?

RealityCheque Wed 07-Sep-16 18:02:48

He cannot take them out of the country legally without your consent.

"You are happy to grant consent subject to him showing you the insurance paperwork including documentation of pre existing conditions." Simples.

LakelandLassie Wed 07-Sep-16 20:40:39

Thanks Reality. I know it should be 'Simples' but I was hoping to avoid more tension for the sake of the DCsad.
He does have consent but in the 16.5 yrs we have been parents, I could count on one hand the number of times he has taken them anywhere (and I dont just mean holidays) without a lot of input from me.
I am aware that I am also partly to blame for enabling his 'hands off' parenting and I am trying to take a step back and let him get on with it but I dont want the DC to suffer whilst he figures it out!!

TheNaze73 Thu 08-Sep-16 17:27:38

I'm interested to know, where legally a parent must get consent to take a child out of the country?

Great advice from Reality about the documents check

bluebeck Thu 08-Sep-16 17:31:53

Here you go Naze

I would either ask for the evidence of proper insurance or you will withdraw consent ( I assume you have their passports?)

Or if you can't be arsed, just pay for it yourself.

sandragreen Thu 08-Sep-16 17:36:18

This is useful - explains that you can't take children abroad on holiday without other parents permission. Also applies to things like school trips:

0dfod Thu 08-Sep-16 17:41:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sandragreen Thu 08-Sep-16 17:54:36

Yeah I would probably just cough up but try to explain to him how important the insurance is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now