Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Advice: nice dating websites for the more mature lady

(6 Posts)
xyogafix Wed 07-Sep-16 10:10:00

Hi there,
I've been thinking about this for a while now, but am not quite sure where to start. My mum has been single for a while now, far far too long - she's a catch! - and has indicated that she might be open to an online dating experience. I want to support her, 100%, and want to ensure that her experience is as pleasant as possible; does anyone have any words of wisdom re., which sites to start with?
I hope this is the start of something exciting and wonderful for my lovely, kind, wonderful mama (fyi she is in her 60s, active, creative, kind and caring. A generally good egg and smashing granny to my wee toot smile ).
Cheers smile x

jeaux90 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:14:20

Hmmmmmm not sure about the dating sites for more mature folks but having used a few myself the most choice comes from something like plenty of fish but then she might prefer something like Match instead. My one piece of advice is not to spend ages messaging someone, the best way to work out whether someone is worth going on a date with is to move quickly onto having a chat on the phone, as long as she feels comfortable that person is who they say they are of course which is my word of caution for you. Make sure the person is real. Too many catfish and weirdos out there so she should enjoy but proceed with caution and eyes wide open X

xyogafix Wed 07-Sep-16 11:18:41

Awww thanks for that! Good luck with your search x

Resilience16 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:40:08

Paid sites are generally better than free ones.
Agree with the above, don't spend too long messaging. Chat by phone sooner rather than later and if all seems good arrange a brief date (couple of hour max).
Profiles with no photo or too many photos are generally dodgy.
Go with your gut instinct but prepare to be open minded.
Don't take rejection personally, and treat the whole thing as a bit of fun rather than "one day my Prince will come"!
Good luck!

Cary2012 Wed 07-Sep-16 20:49:48

Not a dating site but Meetup might be an option?

Local groups of people who do various things, walks, theatre, meals ,pubs etc. The y have age range groups. Informal and friendly.

My sixty something Aunt met a lovely man on there.

Give them a Google, see if you think it might appeal.

Your mum sounds lovely!

xyogafix Wed 07-Sep-16 21:57:37

Thanks guys!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now