Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Ds's father

(47 Posts)
Saturday2122 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:12:57

I have got a ten year old son, I had a one night stand 10 years ago when I was 18 on holiday in Majorca. I kept the baby and he is the best thing that's ever happened to me. My son's dad has been in contact over the years only a few phone calls but I'm not sure what to do. He seems a nice person but I'm not sure what to do, he's from spain and is asking to come and visit. he has said he wants us to be together, I just wanted some advice as I don't know what to do

daisychain01 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:20:25

It would be lovely for your DS to meet his Dad and maybe it could be the start of a father-son relationship.

What it should not mean is that you should feel obliged to become an item with the father. What you did back then - the ONS - was back then. Fine if you feel you'd like to start dating him, but please separate the two situations, so that you are in the driving seat.

You can say yes to one relationship, supporting your DS in getting to know his DF, and say no to the relationship with his DF.

If I were you, take it one step at a time and if you start to feel pushed into a corner at any stage, just tell him you are already in a committed relationship already.

daisychain01 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:21:18

Oops I repeated already 😀

Saturday2122 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:28:40

Thanks for your advice, I'm really happy for my son and he seems a nice person but I'm worried as he's already saying he loves me and wants to get married

Saturday2122 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:30:47

I'm thinking is it because he thinks I've got more money and its better for him if he goes to England? He's asked me about my work and if it's going well.

ImperialBlether Sun 04-Sep-16 15:31:46

Look, anyone who says he wants to marry you like that is crazy.

Do you think your child would benefit from meeting his father?

ImperialBlether Sun 04-Sep-16 15:32:15

I assume he doesn't pay child support?

Desmondo2016 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:37:31

Big warning signs. How on earth can he know he wants to marry you! He needs to come over, meet his son in your company (or a third party your son trusts) a few times, then when you and your son are ready start their relationship independent of anything else. This all takes time. Probably 2 years or more of commitment from him tiwards his son with absolutely NO talk of anything between you two could even begin to form a relationship of you even decide you fancy him. And remember the man that first comes over will not be the genuine article. He'll be a much more perfect, effort making, uber amazing specimen to try and woo you. You need to wait until all that has passed and you've seen him when the chips are down a few times. I suspect if he thought there was no chance with you his desire to be the great dad may wane slightly.

Saturday2122 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:38:52

He hasn't payed anything at all, my son is really happy, he likes talking to him on the phone. I think he would be happy to see him. I would like a partner and I feel like this might be my only chance. I'm worried about the culture differences also

sixinabed Sun 04-Sep-16 15:39:03

I would make it crystal clear that I was not in any way interested in a romantic relationship with him. If he still wants to come, then hopefully it's because he really wants to get to know his child, which is great for your son. If he is only interested in your earning potential etc then it's best for your son if the dad knows right now it's not on the cards and if he disappears then hopefully there would be less emotional damage to your Ds.

sixinabed Sun 04-Sep-16 15:40:23

Sorry, not read your last post when I posted. If you are interested, be very very careful

Kr1stina Sun 04-Sep-16 15:42:48

So he has shown no interest in his son nor has he paid any child support or 10 years ???

It's hard to imagine how his sudden interest in you both can be genuine .

What do your friends and family say ?

Saturday2122 Sun 04-Sep-16 15:48:28

He has phoned a few times and I've sent him photos of my son such as birthdays and like when my son has had his birthday party and certificates from school and football. I haven't got any family around but haven't asked my friends yet

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 04-Sep-16 15:52:16

Many many red flags here re his behaviours here Saturday. The man is a deadbeat man to you and an absent father to his child. I would ignore him because no good will come of this. The man's already told you he loves you and wants to get married. What sort of man does this?. You do not know him at all.

If you want a partner you need to look elsewhere, do not let your own loneliness lead the way here. You are going to have to raise your own relationship bar a lot higher than it currently seems to be. Also a few phone calls to your son has not really cut the mustard either has it, what has he been doing all this time?. If he had been really wanting to make good with you and his child he would have made far more of an effort all round.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 04-Sep-16 15:52:48

May I ask where your own family are?.

Finola1step Sun 04-Sep-16 15:55:17

Sorry to be hard but this is crazy. He is leading you up the garden path and then some. He sees you as a decent meal ticket. He didn't love you 10 years ago and doesn't love you now.

Does he have a job in Spain or is he on his uppers. Is he a Spanish national with an EU passport?

Tell him that as your son's father, he is welcome to be in contact with his son. That there is no chance of a relationship with you. See what he does.

Actions are important not words. Judge him by what he has done over the past 10 years and not what he says now.

ImperialBlether Sun 04-Sep-16 15:58:39

Has he said, "How are you managing for money? I need to give you some money to help you look after him?"

No, he's asked how much you earn so that he can have something off you!

Of course this isn't your only chance to get a man - honestly, that is so melodramatic.

How did you keep in touch with a one night stand anyway?

Cherrysoup Sun 04-Sep-16 16:09:51

Guy sounds like a mad thing! Is he actually Spanish, as there are millions of North African immigrants, concentrated round the south of Spain. From personal experience (I lived there), some of them would be very keen to come to England. If he's Spanish, passports and citizenship via marriage would be easier now rather than later.

I think it's crazy that he's saying he wants to marry you. I'm guessing you haven't met up since the ONS? Do you look the same, does he?

Please be incredibly wary, Op, this all sounds very odd. If he's never paid a penny, I think he can go whistle. Please don't pay for him to come and see you: that would be a massive red flag for me if he can't even fork out for a plane ticket and wants you to.

Saturday2122 Sun 04-Sep-16 16:54:21

Thanks for everyone's replies. Hes asked to stay at my house for a week. I have to protect my son and be very careful. I think I wouldn't want him to visit but I don't want to stop my son knowing his dad. I will ask if he can stay in a hotel as if he stayed at my hour it would be confusing to my son that his dad who he hasn't met before is now staying at his home.

Finola1step Sun 04-Sep-16 16:58:41

How much do you actually know about this man?

ddrmum Sun 04-Sep-16 17:02:35

Would you invite someone off the street to stay in your home with your DS? You don't know this man at all, why would you want him staying in your home? If he was that interested in his DS, he would've made an effort to get to know him a long time ago - 10yrs is a long time to decide to get involved. As for marriage?? Run for them there hills grin

Kr1stina Sun 04-Sep-16 17:04:57

ask him how he's going to pay 10 years of child support . That will show you how genuine he is

Saturday2122 Sun 04-Sep-16 17:07:27

No I know it's such a risk and my job is to make sure my child is not put at any risk and protected. I have only spoke to him on the phone, I know he's got a job and he has a Facebook page. He has two other children also.

Kr1stina Sun 04-Sep-16 17:10:20

Don't let him come and visit. What happens when he meets your son, brings him gifts, says he wants to know him then buggers off back to Spain, never to be seen for the next 10 years ?

Then contacts your son saying " get your mum to bring you over here " .

He needs to prove to YOU that's he's a reformed character before you let him anywhere near your son

What if he's a paedophile or a conman ? What if he's a criminal on the run from the police? What if he's violent or abusve ?

You know nothing about him and you are going to let him near your son ???!!!

Haffdonga Sun 04-Sep-16 17:13:52

Two totally separate issues here. 1. Your ds and his dad. 2. You and him.

If it you hadn't had a dc with this man would you have any interest in meeting some random holiday fling from ten years ago, let alone marrying him? hmm.

But it may be good for your ds to meet his father on a very carefully controlled step by step supervised basis. There is absolutely no way that this man should move in or stay with you in the UK. That is not safe or sensible for you or your ds. If you think a meeting would be good for your ds, you can get an Easyjet flight to Spain for £30. Why not take your ds there on holiday and meet up with your ds's father in Spain for a coffee and take it slowly from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now