Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I want to propose. Need ideas!

(29 Posts)
HandbagsAndGladrages Thu 01-Sep-16 17:09:51

I don't have much money but I want to do something memorable but NOT cheesy or public.

I can't take her away somewhere exciting or go to a super fancy restaurant but I want to create something magical for her. I have the ring, I have the words but just need a setting and build up.

I'm pretty creative but have got a mental block on this. Any ideas?

Evilwater Thu 01-Sep-16 17:12:18

What is she into?

NickMyLipple Thu 01-Sep-16 17:12:51

A room full of balloons?! Maybe there could be like 100 balloons you've blown up, some with messages about how you love and value her (so she'll need to pop those ones) and then maybe have the ring in a giant balloon and you can 'pop' the question?! (I literally just thought of this right now, and I'd laugh so much if you were my DP!!!)

IzzyIsBusy Thu 01-Sep-16 17:13:51

Treasure hunt......or is that cheesy?

SirVixofVixHall Thu 01-Sep-16 17:14:28

Site of where you first met?

crje Thu 01-Sep-16 17:15:24

Have you looked on Pinterest?

A photo book of your time together with the last page a photo of you on one knee holding the ring.

HandbagsAndGladrages Thu 01-Sep-16 17:15:52

Omg she loves puns! Pop the question would have her in creases.

I think she would click straight away with a treasure hunt. I want it to be a total surprise really.

HandbagsAndGladrages Thu 01-Sep-16 17:17:53

Where we first met is a nice idea! We met at a hotel (nothing dodgy 😁 ) so I could see if it's free.

Portobelly Thu 01-Sep-16 17:19:23

My husband had the ring, but didn't have a precise plan.
We were out walking, he saw a pretty view, a good rock for me to sit on, so did it there.
Brilliant.
We have a lovely place to revisit.
It wasn't a super grand thing.
It was entirely private.
It was sincere.
He sounded like he reall meant it.
Rather than sweating over it

The ring didn't fit
Even on my pinkie
But it meant everything.

NickMyLipple Thu 01-Sep-16 17:20:10

And then 'pop' the question in the hotel room 😂

JackieJormpJormp Thu 01-Sep-16 17:25:55

I witnessed a lovely proposal recently.

A guy leading his girlfriend into a lovely park (she was blindfolded), they were both dressed up, had probably just been out to dinner (or were on their way there?) and I could see he was leading her into the rose garden where he'd get down on one knee and propose.

Not expensive or public as it was early evening and there was hardly anybody about.

It would be really easy to do something like this. Take her to a lovely spot in a local park or gardens, at some point in the day when it won't be busy, have a bottle of cava stashed away somewhere (or dinner reservations made). If it's going to be evening you could stick some battery-operated fairy lights up from Wilkinson's. (or get a mate to do it just beforehand so they're there when you arrive.)

If you can't afford a fancy restaurant just take her somewhere that's special for both of you, maybe the place where you went on your first date? Or some other place that holds good memories for you both?

HandbagsAndGladrages Thu 01-Sep-16 17:58:32

Hiya. I've contacted the place we first met to see if its available for a night (I'm not hopeful though as its showing as sold out online) but I think that would be amazing.

HandbagsAndGladrages Thu 01-Sep-16 18:52:30

If I can't get the room in the place we met what do you think of this?

A tent set up in my back yard with fairy lights. All blankets and pillows inside. Our song list playing and a campfire with marshmallows to toast and hot chocolate (it will be November)

Or should I just book a nice hotel for a night and do it there?

I never thought I'd be proposing to any one. I never got the proposal I wanted first time atound so I really want to put the effort in.

LineyReborn Thu 01-Sep-16 18:58:19

A tent set up in my back yard with fairy lights. All blankets and pillows inside. Our song list playing and a campfire with marshmallows to toast and hot chocolate (it will be November)

That sounds brilliant (to me).

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 01-Sep-16 19:02:29

That sounds gorgeous OP. You could still have the ring or something in a balloon (maybe a piece of paper with "Will you marry me?") on it so you can still "pop" the question - I am very taken with that little pun grin

pullingmyhairout1 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:11:10

Lovely. How sweet.

ThatsWotSheSaid Thu 01-Sep-16 19:16:59

The tent thing sounds lovely.

HandbagsAndGladrages Thu 01-Sep-16 19:21:34

I'm trying to find one of those lovely bell tents to hire in Manchester. But not having much luck.

Hiphopopotamus Thu 01-Sep-16 19:32:20

The tent thing sounds lovely on a clear crisp November evening, but I think you need to take the worst case scenario and imagine if it's still lovely on a November right when the rain is coming down hard and the wind is whipping round.

HandbagsAndGladrages Thu 01-Sep-16 19:38:00

True. But I could buy a nice tent and then just set it up when I know the weather is nice. I don't have a specific date set.

GinAndOnIt Thu 01-Sep-16 19:42:24

Was anyone else reading this in the hope it would be your own DP posting? I got my hopes up about November (my birthday) and they all came crashing down at the mention on Manchester (miles away) grin

HandbagsAndGladrages Thu 01-Sep-16 19:53:40

Awww sorry!

I'm alsona woman if that removes some hope further grin

ThatsWotSheSaid Thu 01-Sep-16 21:30:11

The Manchester thing actually got my hopes up. But dp is a male and would never come up with anything that sweet

Zazu44 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:42:47

How about building a 'den' indoors, it could be really romantic - and you wouldn't have to worry about the weather!

SirVixofVixHall Thu 01-Sep-16 22:51:30

I have a five metre Bell tent you could borrow. I am not close to you but could post it maybe?! PM me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now