Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Baby surname

(11 Posts)
Tazlet Wed 31-Aug-16 10:31:45

OK - a tough one... Me and my other half have only been together just under year and have a new born..... We now have to register the baby - but what surname? I have no doubt the dad and I will be married and be happy but at the same time I am not stupid and am aware things could wrong.....

What is the process if I register baby with my name until we marry then want to change it?

Advicepls7080 Wed 31-Aug-16 10:32:45

You can change it in the future but what about a double barrelled surname?

Tipsywipsy Wed 31-Aug-16 10:39:55

My son has his fathers surname. We split up. I wish I had of given him my name. The amount of parents evenings ive been to where I get called "mrs exesname" is annoying. Why not give him your name and say you will change it when you are married and all share the same name?

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 31-Aug-16 10:41:10

Give the baby your surname. It can be changed later if you decide to change your name to match your partner's

NapQueen Wed 31-Aug-16 10:42:03


DP can always change to yours on marriage if he wishes.

ElspethFlashman Wed 31-Aug-16 10:44:41

Yours. You've basically been together not much longer than you've been pregnant. It would be lunacy to give it his.

And it can be changed in years to come.

Missgraeme Wed 31-Aug-16 10:47:09

Your surname. If you marry it's easy changed. Passport issues if not your surname!!

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Wed 31-Aug-16 10:48:40


To change the surname of a child under 16 you need BOTH parents permission. Changing it to match his in the event of marriage would be easy. Changing it to yours in the event of a breakup can be impossible.

NataliaOsipova Wed 31-Aug-16 10:48:59

I would say yours. And I say this as someone who never had a second's angst about changing my name to be "Mrs DH". It's a newish relationship and I think you will regret it immensely if you split up down the line and have a different name to your son. If you do marry, I believe it is relatively easy to change it to his father's name if you wish to later.

Trifleorbust Wed 31-Aug-16 11:12:08

Yours. Why would you give your son his dad's name when you could give him your own name?

LastOneDancing Wed 31-Aug-16 11:15:43

I'd want my children to share my name, particularly if the relationship isn't completely solid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now