Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Divorcing at 6 months pregnant - practical help needed

(4 Posts)
OldFarticus Wed 31-Aug-16 10:14:11

I am looking for advice and hoping that someone can help. I am 6 months pregnant, married 2 years and I think I have reached the stage where I can't remain married to H any longer. His name-calling and abuse reached fever pitch yesterday and he has called me friendless, psychotic, evil and stupid. His family had been bitching about me again- which they often do. He joins in and then tells me about what they said and what he said, which is usually to agree with them. This led to a row. I suffer from depression and have not stopped crying for 24 hours. To avoid drip-feeding, I found out he had cheated 3 days before our wedding and went through with it anyway - more fool me - but I knew it was my only chance of marriage and kids. Our baby has health problems and will need an operation on his lungs soon after he is born. I am terrified of facing that alone.

We have a house together and a big mortgage. Do I have any right to remain in the house after the baby is born? If so, for how long? I have just quit a well-paid job to spend more time with him and our baby. It seems that the change in his behaviour was timed to coincide with this. Either way, I won't be able to afford the mortgage and childcare on my own. I have some savings but not enough to buy another house.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer flowers

FairyDogMother11 Wed 31-Aug-16 11:33:53

I don't really have any advice, I'm sorry you're going through this. With regards to the house, it depends on if you own it jointly or whether it's just his or just yours. If you own it jointly you are entitled to be there but so is he. If it's just his I'm afraid I don't think you have any rights in that respect. I would suggest going to a solicitor to find out where you stand, I think some places offer a half an hour consultation free. Good luck flowers

SandyY2K Wed 31-Aug-16 11:47:08

I think you're right to to leave him and I also think you should seek professional legal advice as every situation differs.

You may be able to get a free consultation.

SandyY2K Wed 31-Aug-16 11:53:22

Do you have family around to support you?
Does your husband work?

He will obviously have to pay child support. Plus spousal support for a period of time. Sounds like he never really wanted you to be happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now