Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Title after divorce....Ms/Miss or Mrs

(25 Posts)
Donatello68 Tue 30-Aug-16 17:12:26

I have just recently got divorced and have 2 DC. I am keeping my Ex's surname as it is the same as DC. What title should I use? Ms? Miss makes me sound 12 and Mrs seems just wrong....

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 30-Aug-16 17:15:49

Whichever you're happiest with. There's no hard and fast rule. I've stayed Mrs. I use my maiden name (though 25 years out of date) go my work and married name in my personal life. I always have. I personally feel too old to be 'Miss' and I've never liked Ms. I do, however, have all banking etc as just initial and surname - no title, have done for about 20 years.

QueenofFatAsses Tue 30-Aug-16 17:56:04

I kept My surname after my divorce and went with Ms.
Got remarried stay Ms and kept my name and gave my new DC my surname.
ultimately it has to be what you feel happy with x

paxillin Tue 30-Aug-16 18:02:32

In the olden days, the woman married to Mr Donatello68 would be Mrs Donatello68, a divorced one would be Mrs Jane Donatello68.

I would personally go with Ms.

pullingmyhairout1 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:06:10

I've gone with Ms Maiden name. I've not kept exes surname though.

user1471453601 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:06:58

I'm Ms with ex partners surname. I like the surname, the man ? Not so much. Seems to me that it's nobody's business if I am, or have ever been, married..

But then, I'm a 70's feminist, with a working class biassmile

redisthenewblack Tue 30-Aug-16 18:13:42

I'm Ms. Changed from Mrs when I LTB, didn't even wait for the divorce to come through.
I've also kept ExHs name because my children have it, and it's easier to spell than my maiden name.
Do whatever you're happy with.

redisthenewblack Tue 30-Aug-16 18:14:49

To be honest though....I hate that people have to have a title. What difference does it make in the whole scheme of things?

RosaRosaRose Tue 30-Aug-16 18:15:27

Ms. Happily it seems to have lost the newness and stigma and -very funny men- people pronouncing it Mzzzz. Personally, I like the non gender specific Mx.

PopFizz Tue 30-Aug-16 18:18:25

I kept the surname, I'd had it a decade and it was the same as the children's and their request. I switched to Ms though. I'm not married, and to me Mrs means married.

When I get remarried I shall change my surname and title again, but that's my choice. And my children will be teens at least, and will be given the choice to change theirs if they wish as well.

Donatello68 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:42:16

Thank you very much all for your advice. I will probably use Ms - not sure that I will ever marry ever again!!

kaitlinktm Tue 30-Aug-16 18:55:45

Kept his name to be the same as the DSs and kept with Mrs. I was (still am) a teacher and I just didn't want to field all the questions from teenagers. Also by then I had had his name almost as long as I had previously had my maiden name (have had it longer now).

Also I think it might have pissed him (and new wife) off just a bit grin

GottaCatchEmAll137 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:03:18

I am a Ms and I have never been married. When/if I marry I shall remain a Ms. I don't see why a women's title has to denote her marital status when a man's doesn't.

pinkpixie83 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:04:04

Kept my married name to be the same as the kids.
Kept Mrs as I'm too old to be a miss - and I'd have been to similar to my Xsil with the same first initial. Don't like ms .

No body cares and it's no ones business anyway. Do what you are happy with.

tsonlyme Tue 30-Aug-16 19:09:38

I was Ms Husbandsname for most of my marriage once the novelty of being Mrs wore off (about a year in). I've changed back to Ms Originalname now and I haven't even sent the divorce petition yet. Haven't changed any official documents but everything else.

I was mS for years before I got married now I think of it, I felt it was no ones business but mine whether or not I was married, men don't announce it with their title.

Also a feminist who grew up in the 70s 😄

Trifleorbust Tue 30-Aug-16 19:09:45

How long were you married? I wouldn't change my title after a long marriage, I just couldn't be bothered. If my marriage lasted a shorter period, I would probably just reassume my maiden name.

Trifleorbust Tue 30-Aug-16 19:10:53

Oh yes and if there was an OW it would irritate her for me to be Mrs Ex-husband's name 😂

Joinourclub Tue 30-Aug-16 19:18:51

I've always used Ms. Both Mrs and Miss irk me. I was at a presentation at work recently where staff roles were being outlined , and on the screen the lists of Mrs X Miss y just seemed so old fashioned! Especially as I'm a teacher so we are all just 'miiiiiiiiiisssssssss' anyway!

RestlessTraveller Tue 30-Aug-16 19:24:19

I'm about to get married (older than the average bride) I've always been Miss, I shall
be Mrs after the wedding. I hate Ms. Hate the way it sounds. Then again I've never been bothered if people know if I'm married or not. Do what makes you happy.

Joinourclub Tue 30-Aug-16 19:29:56

I've no idea how Ms actually sounds. I never say it, it's just a box I check when I'm buying stuff online. When I introduce myself I just use my name!

faffalotty Tue 30-Aug-16 20:48:17

I'm in the process of separating and will then divorce. I don't want to keep married surname, that seems odd to me. I think I'll probably go for ms maiden name. Although have had thoughts of taking on a completely new surname!

faffalotty Tue 30-Aug-16 20:49:11

I've been married nearly 21 years, so not a brief period of my life

Mummydummy Tue 30-Aug-16 20:51:08

I'm ms Maiden name - always have been though, I never took his surname.

lucylamp Tue 30-Aug-16 20:52:16

Etiquette would say you are Mrs Yourfirstname Hissurname

Donatello68 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:59:09

When a friend got divorced, she didn't want to use her maiden name, so she used her maiden name in the original Gallic. It sounded fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now