Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Couples Therapy

(5 Posts)
QueenofFatAsses Tue 30-Aug-16 10:34:59

Has anyone ever used couples therapy?
Has it worked, is it a black hole of money, will we ed up yelling at each other in front of a stranger?

When things get bad between me and my DP he always says lets go to counselling. We never do because I leave it to him to sort out and he doesn't.
This time I think I will, but I am tres nervous about finding a good one and it being expensive.

QueenofFatAsses Tue 30-Aug-16 11:44:00

*end

DavidMather Tue 30-Aug-16 12:12:54

I looked into this and the counselor advised that before going into couples therapy each of you should attend individual therapy so that those issues don't overwhelm the couples therapy.

I think sometimes you need someone else to guide you through things - to make you see things in a different light.

I found my counselor from this site www.counselling-directory.org.uk/

MsStricty Tue 30-Aug-16 16:33:57

Individual therapy is better, because it's really what you are both bringing as individuals into the relationship that affects it. Couples therapy treats the symptom and not the cause.

QueenofFatAsses Tue 30-Aug-16 18:05:12

hmmmm, we both have had individual therapy over the last few years and individually it has been useful, we have both been thinking that maybe we need a bit of an outside voice.
The question there is there though if we feel we need that is there anything worth talking about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now