Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Tinder

(22 Posts)
debbs77 Sun 28-Aug-16 20:09:36

I've joined Tinder and POF!

POF I don't like much. You can see people have checked you out and not messaged. Or you get a message, do the polite thing and reply, and then they assume you're interested!

Tinder seems a lot better! Though the first guy I chatted to seemed great, spent three hours talking the other night, only for him to move on to the sexy talk. Seriously, how off putting!

TheNaze73 Sun 28-Aug-16 20:44:25

It's Tinder, what are you expecting?

BeenThereDoneThatForgotten Sun 28-Aug-16 20:50:28

I have a coup,e of friends using Tinder. They had a bit of fun with it initially, but a few months in, both have found people they have met up with and things are moving on. Both in their 40s.

debbs77 Sun 28-Aug-16 23:52:23

Tinder seems better than POF by miles. But really, do people get dates by talking sex talk within the first few hours of chatting?

Myusernameismyusername Sun 28-Aug-16 23:53:46

I have never got a date from tinder, it's all very hook up expectations

Snazarooney Sun 28-Aug-16 23:58:07

Tinder is fun but be prepared for lots of guys wanting to come round to yours for sex straightaway and loads of unsolicited dick pics and vids! There are some good guys on there though. Beware loads are married (those famous 'open marriages' that only they seem to know about) and a sizeable number are a couple wanting an extra lady for bedroom fun so it's always worth checking to see if they've written anything.

At first I need the help of urban dictionary a lot but that could've been just me. DTF means 'down to fuck' apparently. Most acronyms effectively mean sex!

Snazarooney Sun 28-Aug-16 23:58:23

I loathe POF!

TokenGinger Mon 29-Aug-16 01:23:43

Tinder is renowned for sex and hook ups. You'll encounter a lot more of this.

LesisMiserable Tue 30-Aug-16 11:09:54

Tinder is a brilliant place to meet your OH, two years together in November for us.

ladylambkin Tue 30-Aug-16 11:40:04

I have had bad experiences with POF and not one with Tinder. I met someone who I dated for 18 months there. Have recently joined again and been on a few dates with a nice guy. Never have I had someone try to sex talk me on Tinder however POF was rife with guys that wanted that

forumdonkey Tue 30-Aug-16 11:58:25

I don't think Tinder is renowned for sex and hook ups, I think its just a dating app, which is no different, with the type of people on there than other dating sites. Is that what you found with tinder TokenGinger?

Kikibanana86 Tue 30-Aug-16 12:53:07

Most dating apps have lots of people looking for sex, some honestly and some under the guise of looking for a relationship. If that's not what your looking for then I guess you just have to keep going until you find someone who wants the same as you!

Notsurewhyimhere Tue 30-Aug-16 12:54:57

I find people talk more on tinder whereas on POF you are lucky to get a message first and if you do message first you get ignored

Rockluvvindad Tue 30-Aug-16 13:35:37

Tindr was created as a hookup site for straight people after the success of Grindr, the gay focussed predecessor...

I think you'll find the majority of its target audience ( the user base will include people that weren't the original target ) are using it as a hookup site ( with or without success )... Over time it has morphed into a "dating" app but for many people it hasn't changed from what it was.

Like any app or site, different people have different experiences. If you accept its roots, then it is fine... People talk more because there is already an expression of interest to even get to the talking stage. You both have to like each other's picture... Just be prepared that the person you're talking may well have a different objective...

JellyBean31 Tue 30-Aug-16 13:40:07

I hated POF, felt more in control on tinder. Yes some start with the sex talk but if that's not what you like, just say so... I've only had 1 take offence on tinder most are ok to move on if you're looking for different things.

Currently seeing a bloke I met on tinder, it's been about 3 months now!

whitershadeofpale Tue 30-Aug-16 13:41:13

I think tinder has a bad rep. Yes there are people just looking for hookups but you get that on all sites and you get used to weeding them out.

I met my BF on there and one of my closest friends has just got married to someone she met there.

RestlessTraveller Tue 30-Aug-16 14:10:28

Ok here's my experience.

POF: Just awful. This is were I got the miost unsolicited dick pics and vastly inappropriate messages straight of the bat. Absolutely no small talk before hand.

TINDER: Whilst I do agree that it is still predominantly a hookup site this is where I met my now fiancé. I trawled through a lot of photos before I saw him and he stood out because his profile made it clear he wasn't just after a hook-up.

OKCUPID: In the three years I was OLD this is where most of my dates came from and where there is a better class of men and you can weed the ones who are just after sex the quickest.

RestlessTraveller Tue 30-Aug-16 14:11:53

MOST unsolicited dick pics - not moist....but thinking about it there were some moist ones. Uurrrgh.

Pyrrha Tue 30-Aug-16 14:18:35

I met my partner on tinder, we've been together two and a half years now. I just went on as a bit of a joke really to have a giggle at the funny profile pictures with my friends but I did actually have dates with some nice guys from it. If someone seems sleazy/weird then you can just block them straightaway, I found it pretty easy to weed out the twats!

LesisMiserable Tue 30-Aug-16 14:42:35

It does tickle me that on MN people who go on Tinder are widely regarded as a separate species of sexed up human grin

TokenGinger Tue 30-Aug-16 22:48:01

forum - I only had a few matches on Tinder, but all 4 mentioned sex within and hour and one even asked to send me a picture of his D 😫🙈 Maybe I was just very unlucky in my initial experiences and got scared off!

Myusernameismyusername Tue 30-Aug-16 23:37:06

I just got match after match and no comversation, even if I started it so I conclude men in my areas just were using it like an Argos book at Christmas circling all the toys they want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now