Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What makes a happy, healthy relationship?

(11 Posts)
mynameismarley Sun 21-Aug-16 15:02:01

I've been feeling a little insecure recently (nothing big, nothing that dh has done) and that got me thinking to how we could improve our relationship, and on the whole what makes a good relationship as we are pretty happy generally so I must be missing something to be feeling this way.

What do you think makes a happy and healthy relationship?

OneArt Sun 21-Aug-16 15:03:46

Communication and shared values.

DH and I went on a marriage course a few years ago which helped us communicate better. Would you consider something like that?

pallasathena Sun 21-Aug-16 17:15:45

Mutual respect, kindness and not sweating the small stuff. Oh, and not obsessing or overthinking or constantly seeing reassurance.
Best advice is not to take yourself too seriously and have as much fun as you can.
If you have low self esteem, tackle that sooner rather than later as it can really screw up your close relationships and your ability to love freely and fearlessly.

user1469680214 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:35:06

If you know you can "be yourself' with them. Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere. It's Martini.

PinkyPlumet Sun 21-Aug-16 18:36:37

Trust, communication and respect.

Oh and good sex

RowenaDahl Sun 21-Aug-16 18:42:50

My best relationship has been with DH. We are very happy. We're very similar personality-wise and what we want from life. We like the same type of holidays and days out. I am good at shopping, cooking and cleaning. He is good at hoovering, changing the bed, fixing the technology and generally fixing and building things. We complement each other. I don't feel insecure (but did with my XP!).

Why are you feeling insecure?

HermioneJeanGranger Sun 21-Aug-16 18:55:40

Good communication, honesty, kindness, compassion, friendship and good sex!

LesisMiserable Mon 22-Aug-16 00:41:03

Matching sex drives, trust, respect and communication

Cherrysoup Mon 22-Aug-16 00:57:45

Respect, compromise, communication. Being thankful and letting your DP know that you appreciate them, not in a slavish, thank god someone loves me way, just appreciating them for who they are and what they do.

Mittensonastring Mon 22-Aug-16 01:16:53

Communication, ability to admit to mistakes, similar intelligence levels, Similar approach to child rearing if you have DC, enough money.

The ability to see people like different things and my own favourite lots of personal space and independence. When I read some of the threads on here the neediness levels would drive me batshit.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Mon 22-Aug-16 08:32:59

Respect, mutual kindness, ability to communicate. Similar outlook on life; you don't need to be the same person but big differences in certain key viewpoints like religion, money, child rearing etc will grate on you eventually.
Also the absence of certain things. Contempt for one another in any form at all is one of the most toxic things in a relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now