Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to deal with a broken friendship when you still see each other regularly

(4 Posts)
walterwater Sun 07-Aug-16 17:56:14

At the beginning of this year a close friend fell out with me. Our friendship had been deteriorating for months as she got increasingly more nasty with me but I never got to the bottom of what i'd done wrong or why she started to behave badly (even when i asked her). Luckily since our friendship collapsed we have both been working away at various times and so our paths haven't crossed.

Now we are both back in town and, because we share the same circle of friends, are likely to turn up at the same events. I've contacted her to suggest meeting up on our own to make peace, and she turned me down. i don't want to avoid nights out just because she's there, but i'm concerned that if i do run into her she'll be a bitch to me and ruin my evening anyway. How do others cope when there is someone in your social circle who doesn't like you?

Purplehonesty Sun 07-Aug-16 17:59:00

I've had the same thing happen to me and I've just been polite and friendly but not tried to talk to them.

So smile and 'hello nice to see you' and then move away. She can't be a bitch if you don't give her a chance to talk to you!

MooPointCowsOpinion Sun 07-Aug-16 18:02:40

I've had a slightly similar thing, I've just been polite but distant, and kept busy away from her. It's awkward for other people so it's a good idea to give your mutual friends a heads up, that she's fallen out with you and you'll be avoiding her as best you can.

almostthirty Sun 07-Aug-16 18:08:31

I've had similar and used the 'kill them with kindness' tactic. Be polite, friendly even so if she is a bitch towards you, others in the group will see its her and not you. If she says something try to rise above it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now