Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would you give the child your maiden name or married name?

(10 Posts)
Smilecherishdream2016 Sat 06-Aug-16 18:56:33

So you are married , have a child . Both you and child have the fathers surname . Then you separate , have a one night stand and end up pregnant but you have no clue of fathers name and he's never to be seen again .
Would you give this child the same surname as you and first dc ?

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 06-Aug-16 18:59:17

If I was still using my married name (which I most likely would be, because I see it as mine not a loan name) then yes, I would give the child the same surname as me.

Not like ex-husband has an entirely unique name after all.

MephistoMarley Sat 06-Aug-16 18:59:19

Yes! It would be totally odd to give them a different name imo. Unless you reverted to your original name too.

AyeAmarok Sat 06-Aug-16 18:59:45

Are you planning on changing your own name back?

SandyY2K Sat 06-Aug-16 19:02:48

I'd give the child my married surname, if I was in such a position.

No need to create the hassle of different surnames, although your Ex may not be happy with that choice.

Smilecherishdream2016 Sat 06-Aug-16 19:03:04

It's not me , it's a situation in my family that got me thinking , as in is the first husband really the father but it's denied ..
It's my stepfather , just so many secrets in the family , I really don't know what to believe anymore .

Cabrinha Sat 06-Aug-16 19:21:17

If it were me, there's a fair chance I'd have had an abortion and it would be irrelevant!
If I kept the pregnancy, I'd give the child my surname. If I had chosen to take my husband's name, and then chosen to keep it, it would be mine now.

So, your stepfather has an ex wife, and one child. And the ex wife has had another child. And given it your stepfather's name. And is claiming it was a ONS. But you think it might actually be your stepfather's child...?

CalleighDoodle Sat 06-Aug-16 21:07:41

I would give them my married surname.

CatsAndCocktails Sat 06-Aug-16 21:15:08

I would give the child my surname and if that happens to be the one I was born with or the one I took when I married, it would be irrelevant. Whatever my surname was at the time, would be what I would name the child. After all, presumably if the ex husband's surname wasn't going to be used after separation, it would have already been changed.

Smilecherishdream2016 Mon 08-Aug-16 20:37:44

Thanks for the replies , when I put myself in her position I can see I would do the same .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now