Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can you be fired for relationship with colleague?

(20 Posts)
Halfwayoranges Sun 31-Jul-16 10:13:54

This is a genuine asking for a friend!

There's nothing in the employment contract about it.

Bailey101 Sun 31-Jul-16 10:28:45

If it's detrimental to the business then yes. It depends how they're behaving and the knock on effect of the relationship.

CarpeJugulum Sun 31-Jul-16 10:34:29

I've worked for a bank and it was definitely frowned upon - issues with potential security problems (ie robbing them!) so usually one partner was moved to a different branch.

TheSnowFairy Sun 31-Jul-16 10:35:04

Does one manage the other?

Are either married?

Are they in different departments where information shouldn't be shared?

Are there other people there in work relationships?

BossyOfficerFlossie Sun 31-Jul-16 10:46:49

Depends on where they work, but a lot of professional bodies have a bit in their code of practice about conduct unbecoming that has been used when workplace affairs become a problem, usually after they end messily to encourage one party to move on...

Mooey89 Sun 31-Jul-16 10:48:33

I met DP at work.
Policy says only a problem if one line manages the other.

When we moved in together they moved him to a doffernrt team, same job, just one floor down from me so we weren't in the same pod. Everyone at work comments that they had no idea we were together because we were always so professional apart from snogging in the lift

MammyHester9116 Sun 31-Jul-16 10:57:14

I met my husband at work. We now have a baby. His mum was the boss when I started! It was a secret for a few weeks and then became common knowledge when we knew it was more serious!

ShelaghTurner Sun 31-Jul-16 11:01:41

I met my husband at work too. There was no formal policy and 99.999% of people weren't bothered but a senior member of staff (who line managed neither of us) bullied me terribly. Alas I was too nervous to report her but my grown up self would have done. She made my life a misery.

Whatever, we've been married 16 years with two kids and she's still a miserable witch.

LellyMcKelly Sun 31-Jul-16 11:05:06

It's not usually explicitly banned, but if one person line manages or is part of the supervisory/management team then it is good practice to inform others who may be involved in the management structure. If it goes wrong and there is drama/unprofessional behaviour, or if you are caught shagging on the photocopier, then you can probably be disciplined for bringing the company into disrepute or similar. Check your terms on employment, and tell your friend cough that her watchwords should be transparency and accountability - as with all other elements of the job.

Diamogs Sun 31-Jul-16 11:10:35

Usually only an issue where there is a conflict of interest, ie where one ndn she's the other, or the potential for collusion etc

Diamogs Sun 31-Jul-16 11:11:20

God knows how that autocorrect came out.

Should say where one manages the other.

Halfwayoranges Sun 31-Jul-16 11:42:09

He manages her but apparently nothing in the policies about it.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sun 31-Jul-16 11:52:47

This has the potential to cause terrible conflict once it's out in the open. It's really not appropriate for a manager to have a relationship with someone their junior. It's incredibly unprofessional to say the least. Accusations of sexual harassment if it all goes wrong, favouritism over other colleagues et cetera .

One of them needs to leave.

Ememem84 Sun 31-Jul-16 12:00:52

I met Dh at work. We didn't work together though (different departments). A few places I've worked have frowned upon couples working together -same teams etc. But only if they are aware of the relationship when they join the company if you see what I mean.

Im not allowed to work at Dhs work. I would be if he left. But not until then

Girlsthatdance Sun 31-Jul-16 12:17:44

No problem in teaching. Loads of people in relationships/having affairs.

bolognaadvice Sun 31-Jul-16 12:25:18

Been in this situation...
DP was my boss.

They just need to tell someone senior so they can change her reporting line or move one of them if that allows. Not ethical for him to be doing her PDR / bonus etc and even if they're both 100% professional it won't stop accusations of favouritism and unfair treatment from colleagues.

Also - imo only worth pursuing if they both think it could be serious long term - but I'm sure they've thought that through

Halfwayoranges Sun 31-Jul-16 12:27:40

He's not her line manager, he's just the supervisor. He has no impact on pay or bonus decisions. Though his view could be asked for on performance generally. She's looking for another job as I type. Thanks for the advice

Eminybob Sun 31-Jul-16 12:38:59

I met DH at work. We did work in the same branch but with different roles. It wasn't an issue for years, in fact several times one or the other of us has moved to a different branch, and then the other has been moved to that same branch by management! They all know we are in a relationship and we have tried to get away from each other as I'd prefer not to work together.

Though, as it happens, this year they have decided that they don't want people in relationships working in the same branch, so I have been moved. Which is fine my me.

There are loads of couples in my (large national) company.

Salmotrutta Sun 31-Jul-16 12:52:50

Girlsthatdance - it's not normally an issue with colleagues having a relationship in teaching but if they stray into unprofessional behaviour in front of pupils then it would be a real problem.

panegyricS1 Sun 31-Jul-16 13:01:23

At my place, it's forbidden if one is the other'smanager. No one gets sacked for falling for someone though - the reporting line just alters (the company is big, so it's possible).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now