Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Wwyd...

(27 Posts)
JackieBauer Fri 29-Jul-16 09:56:45

If you really fancied someone and he was a friend of your best friend and she told you "you can't date him, don't even go there, he's my friend and it would just be weird" (she's never dated him and says she doesn't fancy him). She sees him once every couple of months at a school reunion group, wwyd?
Because he's just asked me out and I really want to go

MrsBertBibby Fri 29-Jul-16 10:04:45

Ask her what she's worried about.

School reunions every 2 months? Weird!

MrsArthurShappey Fri 29-Jul-16 10:05:36

I think I'd probably ask her why she has such a problem with it. 'Really weird' is not enough I don't think. Explain that he's asked her out and that you like him.

JackieBauer Fri 29-Jul-16 10:06:42

No it's not a full school reunion every few months, they met up at a school reunion about 2 years ago and now a group of about 8 meet up every few months for a drink

ClaireVoyante Fri 29-Jul-16 10:13:59

She fancies him.

HeddaGarbled Fri 29-Jul-16 10:16:52

Yeah, she fancies him. So, it depends on which is more important to you, her friendship or dating him.

Missgraeme Fri 29-Jul-16 10:21:28

She intends to 'have him' at some point and wants to keep him available for herself!!

LadyMonicaBaddingham Fri 29-Jul-16 10:29:32

Go if you want to... You don't need to get her permission!! Agree with PPs that she probably has designs on him herself but he asked YOU out; it's got nothing to do with her, ultimately. Have fun smile

blindsider Fri 29-Jul-16 10:44:55

He has asked you out, if you fancy him (and are single) accept. Why should your friend potentially block you from being with a partner for life.

VioletBam Fri 29-Jul-16 10:46:46

She totally fancies him.

It's like Mean Girls when Regina tells that other one she can't wear hoop earrings!

What would Lindsay Lohan do?

grin

LellyMcKelly Fri 29-Jul-16 13:39:42

Go on the date. She's not the boss of you!

TheNaze73 Fri 29-Jul-16 16:51:35

I can't see the problem with this. If it was an ex of hers, that would be completely different

SalemsLott Fri 29-Jul-16 16:53:59

shes not the boss of you
this

ladyformation Fri 29-Jul-16 17:13:47

Hang on, did she say that to you before he asked you out? If so that's weird...

SusieQwhereareyou Fri 29-Jul-16 17:21:30

If she was a good friend, she wouldn't be asking you not to date him.

happypoobum Fri 29-Jul-16 17:25:50

I would go.

Stevefromstevenage Fri 29-Jul-16 17:29:09

My God who does that? Is she 15? She does not get to control the actions of 2 adults although I suspect that she may be leaving him as her fall back plan for the future.

Maverick66 Fri 29-Jul-16 17:32:14

I agree with others She doesn't want you to have him.

Leefr200 Fri 29-Jul-16 18:09:22

Tell her to bollocks she doesn't control your life

MiaowJario Fri 29-Jul-16 18:12:31

What's a 14 yo doing going to school reunions? Is it a primary school reunion? Jeez.

KarmaNoMore Fri 29-Jul-16 18:57:05

She is your best friend, can you be open to her and say you would like to accept the invitation, so if she thinks there is something you should know about, tell you now?

My bets are:
1) she likes him
2) He liked her in the past
3) or most likely, she know he is not really a nice person.

BolshierAryaStark Fri 29-Jul-16 19:16:38

Is she 15? hmm
If not then laugh at her & point out she's being ridiculous. Accept the date definitely.

SandyY2K Fri 29-Jul-16 19:38:03

She might not fancy him, although I suspect she does. It's like a girl not wanting you to date her brother because it can get awkward. Especially if/when you break up.

It would put her in the middle of it all, but I'd never dream of telling anyone who to date. Except when a friend of mine had designs on my brother and I knew it wouldn't end well, (as she was a real hothead) so I told my brother to steer clear.

How close a friend is this guy to her?
Does your friend have a boyfriend?

WorzelsCornyBrows Fri 29-Jul-16 21:02:55

She fancies him. You're all adults (although her behaviour is very childish), you can't stop two people dating, she doesn't own him nor does she own him. That said, if she's that childish, prepare to lose her if you do go on the date. Only you can decide whether or not it's worth it. Me? I'd go for it grin

Chelazla Fri 29-Jul-16 23:50:38

She fancies him!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now