Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to end relationship

(7 Posts)
bec18 Sat 23-Jul-16 09:51:05

Need advice on how to end my relationship. I use the word relationship loosely.
We do not get on. I don't like the person he is now.

We have a young toddler.

He owns the house. I have no contract. No savings and no family near by.

I work but after nursery fees etc. Not enough to be able to rent privately / live.

What do I do.

loveyoutothemoon Sat 23-Jul-16 11:35:08

Could you borrow a deposit to rent? Then claim benefits. How many hours do you work? Find out if you could claim working tax credit as well. How many hours does you toddler go to nursery? Could he/she go less to cut down on fees and you work part time whilst there?

BigBarry Sat 23-Jul-16 11:39:42

I think it's best to be honest with him and explain its not working.

He will either Buck his ideas up and you can work on things.


You have an angry exchange of words and then have to put the ball in motion of moving out. He would be out of order forcing you to move out straight away especially as you have a daughter. It may be uncomfortable but at least you know where you are at

Contact the local cousin who have a duty to rehome

bec18 Sat 23-Jul-16 15:19:58

Thanks for the replies.

We have had words before and he has told me he expects me to move straight away. I would have no where to go.

My toddler goes to nursery 3 days a week and I work 30 hours with no option to reduce. So I think I'm screwed.

I think I would just need to stay quiet and wait on the council list until I found somewhere else.

BigBarry Sat 23-Jul-16 15:51:21

This is basically blackmail "leave me and you will be homeless" the council must provide you accommodation if you are homeless and have a child even if it is temporary

loveyoutothemoon Sat 23-Jul-16 15:57:50

Before you think you are screwed Why don't you make enquiries.

Ask about,
Single person's council tax benefit
Housing benefit
Working tax credit

I'm assuming you already getting Child Tax Credit.

fallingsnow Sat 23-Jul-16 16:25:01

Depending on where you live, you might wait a long time for a Council place but worth looking into (ring the Council Housing Dept, I am sure they will be able to advise you re. your position). It may also not be totally easy to find somewhere privately, again depending on where you live, as you will be most likely be in receipt of some HB at least. However you are working and I would definitely have a look at this. Might take leg work and looking on websites like Gumtree and Rightmove but you might suddenly pull something off. Maybe you could get a one-bedroom to begin with. Or even share with the right person/people/family? You will need a deposit etc though - can you lend this? Of course you won't have any security with privately rented place, but you have no security where you live now obviously. You can always join the housing register once you have moved to private place too.

Decide what you really want to do, and start to make it happen... its unlikely the results will be perfect, as life isn't, but at least you won't be living with someone you don't want to be in a relationship with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now