Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Renting a property on separation, help me make a decision!

(11 Posts)
GoldenOrb Thu 21-Jul-16 19:26:27

I had a place all lined up, but it has fallen through at the last minute. We were due to move in next week.

I'm looking for a 6-12 month rental, basically until our divorce is sorted and I can get the money from the sale of the family home to be able to buy somewhere.

I have viewed 2 houses, neither of which are perfect but either would probably be ok. One is immaculately presented, but has a courtyard garden (I have boys who like being outside and need exercising!) and is small relative to the other choice. The other choice is a huge house, more bedrooms than we need, lots of playing space inside the house, a slightly bigger but not incredibly child friendly garden, but is more "rough and ready" and would cost much more to heat etc over the winter (much older property).

I can't make a decision. I loved the place I was due to move to and was totally happy with that decision. I now feel I've got to make a decision in haste (I am so desparate to move out, I had it in my head that it would be next week and to think that I'll have to spend longer in a house with H is just quite devastating).

The first property is right for me. The second property would be better for the kids.

What do I go for?

They cost the same, and are approx the same distance from school.

GoldenOrb Thu 21-Jul-16 19:26:53

I should say that the kids will be with me most of the time in the first 6 months at least.

moonface1978 Thu 21-Jul-16 19:32:08

I would go big. You could always wear more clothes/ snuggle under blankets in the winter but this is going to be a difficult time for your kids and having plenty of space to run off energy, to find space to be by yourselves when you want to be, and have less stress trying to keep the place nice to save your deposit would be worth any extra cost for heating, I think. Also, would the extra cost in heating be more than potentially losing part of your deposit if any damage is done to the better looking house.

Lordamighty Thu 21-Jul-16 19:32:34

I would go for the second property, better to have more space than you need.

motheroreily Thu 21-Jul-16 19:35:12

Hmmm I was in this situation but where I live properties don't come up for rent. I'd ring and they'd be gone the day they were advertised so I said to one estate agent im desperate and they called me before anyone and I took it straight away. I ended up with no garden and shoddy storage heaters!!

Sorry i am going off on a tangent. Do places come up a lot where you live? Could you wait another week or two?

I would be put off renting an immaculately presented place and I wouldn't be able to relax.

I'd be tempted to go for the rough and ready one if it would be Nicer for your boys it might help them feel settled.

I got some heaters that are cheap to run and have them in the living room and bedroom before bed. Then just wear a big hoodie too!

Sorry for my ramble I don't think im helping. I guess what I think is I am
Not living in my ideal place but it's fine much happier here than when I lived with my husband.

tribpot Thu 21-Jul-16 19:44:31

I think being in the immaculate house with kids could be quite stressful. I'd go for the bigger place and plan how best to heat it.

GoldenOrb Thu 21-Jul-16 23:11:39

When I say immaculate, ideal that it is really nicely decorated (recently), not to the extent that I'd be on edge telling them not to touch stuff all the time. And it's unfurnished too so not too many things they could break that weren't ours anyway!

myownperson Fri 22-Jul-16 07:22:45

I completely get the needing to move now, how disappointing for you.

Having moved several times with my children, most recently to live by ourselves without their dad, my experience is that the actual house/garden mattered a lot less to the children than I thought it would.

My preference would be for the nicely presented house that you would prefer. You being happy and comfortable in it would make a bigger difference to their experience than extra room. You will have the job of making sure life is ok for everyone so make things easy for yourself.

That's just my thoughts. I think you can make either work. We've moved into a house that needs a bit of work. It's a happy home though.

I've seen your previous threads re contact. Great that you are nearly there.

whatyouseeiswhatyouget Fri 22-Jul-16 07:31:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoldenOrb Fri 22-Jul-16 08:45:20

The bigger house doesn't exactly have a big garden, and it has a greenhouse which is probably more worrying than the kids spilling in the immaculate house!!

motheroreily Fri 22-Jul-16 10:20:50

Sounds like your heart is set on house 1. If you want it then go for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now