Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What should I do with in laws who treat me differently from other daughter in law

(8 Posts)
2015mom Thu 21-Jul-16 08:24:14

I always have a positive outlook on life but my in laws are making me feel fed up.

My in laws blatently treat me differently from the other daughter in law and I can't stand my mother in laws snidey disrespectful comments everytime I see her.

Since I have been married I have helped them loads and been nice to them!

They do everything for the other daughter in law and she causes so much trouble for them! To the point where she has stopped relatives talking to mother in law. After she causes trouble the daughter in law gets rewarded with 24 carat earrings for her 24th birthday.... Whereas they give me a measly £20 for my birthday!

When mother in law comes over she can't help but make a snidey comment to ruin the mood. Even yesterday on my birthday she makes a snidey comment that my husband has to get permission from me to go out and laughing then repeatedly said it until I corrected her and said you are wrong there as he does not need to get permission.

Even when they come back from holiday they will buy the other daughter in law an expensive outfit and me just crappy little things like kitchen sieves which I have!
Just fed up of the bullshit.... I am ready to tell them how I feel when conversation arises next.

Just need some advice as to how to go about it .... Maybe I just need u guys to tell me to shut up because I am
Being pathetic but maybe that's what I need to stop
Me getting down about being treated so differently and less favourably

Chamonix1 Thu 21-Jul-16 09:36:22

You say she causes them a lot of trouble? Perhaps they shower her in expensive presents and treat her better to try and keep her on side? I'm assuming the other dil will have a big say in how much they see their son/grandchildren (if there are any)? Maybe they are trying to keep her sweet.
As for the comments, she sounds a bit of a twit, just do as you did an confront/correct her in a very calm but firm way, every time she does it, I'm sure she'll get the message.
If she's like that anyway, why do nice stuff for her? Do you really care if she likes you?
Fwiw my in laws buy me clothes 4 sizes to big for my birthday and granny scarfs for xmas. I'd rather have the £20! grin

2015mom Thu 21-Jul-16 09:43:29

Yeah I honesty think you are right about trying to keep her sweet because she lives with them so they have a lot of involvement with their three boys but at the same time mother in law moans constantly about her and how lazy she is hahaha

We moved out so they trying to keep her sweet to stay with her.

Gosh can't believe ur in laws by you clothes that are too big for you! Who need in laws hey!!!!!

Yeah I will just correct her when she talks BS!!! And when she tries to tell me what to do I will tell her don't tell me what to do!!!! She thinks she knows best
Thank you for your advice

Mumoftwoyoungkids Thu 21-Jul-16 09:46:37

My in laws (who I get on fine with) once got me sports socks for Xmas. Which was fine except I was 4 months pregnant at the time and I'm a swimmer!

They muttered something about not having time to shop. (What with being retired and having no childcare responsibilities vs us who were both working, had a toddler and a problematic pregnancy and had managed to fit it in!)

I just sniggered a bit to myself and nodded understandingly.

2015mom Thu 21-Jul-16 09:49:50

Gosh it would have been better to just give you the money or a box of chocolates! In laws just think they can do what they want

Iamthegreatest1 Thu 21-Jul-16 09:54:47

So your other sister in law actually lives with your in laws? That certainly deserves 24 carat earrings in my book. Don't know what you're moaning about.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Thu 21-Jul-16 09:59:34

Awww - there's no malice in them. They are just very disorganised! I am undoubtedly hard to buy for (plenty of money and no "consumer gene") but the sheer ridiculousness of the present did make me laugh!

2015mom Thu 21-Jul-16 10:39:40

Hahah yep she lives with them true it does deserve gold earrings to put up with in laws

Well leave them to it they both moan about each other behind each other's backs hahaha and they put on a front to everyone they are happy families lol

Yeah at least it was only one year so no biggy that they got you the socks.... U get on with them so that's the main thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now