Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Friend in relationship with abusive man...

(5 Posts)
gosportmummy Wed 20-Jul-16 18:54:11

Long story short...I am a teacher, a close friend of mine is in a relationship with the Father of one of the girls who is in my class. He was in a 24 year abusive marriage with the girls mother. He has convictions for domestic violence, abused her for many years and has recently lost his job for abusing alcohol and cocaine. She met him through the boyfriend of her sister who is also a nasty piece of work. I only know his background because I taught his daughter. I cannot reveal to my friend all of what I know about her new man or I may compromise my job. I am wondering if I should gently let a mutual friend of ours know some of his background so she and I can keep a eye on this relationship. I am so worried for my friend but am at pains to know what to do for the best..any advice very welcome!x

TheNaze73 Wed 20-Jul-16 19:01:15

I wouldn't compromise my job however, if you point somebody in the direction of a Google search, as seems to be the norm, reading on here, you'd be giving nothing away??

Morasssassafras Wed 20-Jul-16 19:38:52

You can use clare's law to protect your friend whilst protecting your job. Contact your local police and explain about your friend and her bf. The police will, if they believe she needs to know, contact her and give her the information about him.

cozietoesie Wed 20-Jul-16 20:03:24

Yes. Clare's Law can be invoked by people other than the victim/potential victim if they have reason to be concerned.

cozietoesie Wed 20-Jul-16 20:13:30

Here is some information on it. It's also been rolled out across Scotland if you're posting from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now