Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Constantly dreaming of an ex boyfriend

(10 Posts)
come2chat Tue 12-Jul-16 03:49:44

Ok, i do not know if this is the right forum for this topic. I constantly dream about my ex bf (about 4 times a week!). And i do not know why. This has been going on since we broke up over 10yrs ago, and as time has went on he still appears in my dreams! I wake up feeling frustrated because im always left with the one question: why?

I do not miss him. He was a pain in the butt. I do not regret breaking it off with him. I do not wish to be back together. I am (mostly) in a happy stable marriage and we have 1 child together.

Anyone else has this problem?

LB1982 Wed 13-Jul-16 08:47:21

I could have written the above! Broke up 9 years ago, were together 10 years. Now happily married with two children.
Even my intimate dreams include my ex shock There is no reason for this. I don't think about him and don't want him back. Sorry no advice but you're not alone confused

FellOutOfBed2wice Wed 13-Jul-16 08:56:08

Me too! I think it's because it ended badly- he left with very little explanation and we quickly went NC. I never really got any answers. Hypnotherapy has helped me but I still dream about him a few times a month. Irritating as it's been ten years, can't stand the man and he was always a prick! grin

Yoksha Wed 13-Jul-16 09:13:27

Hi all,
Try getting your head around 45yrs & still occasionally dreaming in same manner. OK breakup. Same Dh for last 41yrs. Don't feel anything, but dream about him. Maybe I just miss being young again. Oh I don't know. Glad I'm not alone. grin

HotNatured Wed 13-Jul-16 10:53:18

I dream about my ex a lot. We split up about 5 years ago. He was a complete and utter wanker but we ended badly and I guess subconsciously my mind feels that we haven't had 'closure'.

I always feel v disconcerted for hours after waking.

The mind is fucking weird.

HotNatured Wed 13-Jul-16 10:54:25

I bet I dream about him tonight now. that's your fault angry

grin

allnewredfairy Wed 13-Jul-16 14:54:27

I have regular dreams about meeting up with my first love and realising he's still a dopey prat, and also about EXH who I agree to go back to even though I know he's still a manipulative creep.
Maybe I need these dreams to remind me that going forwards is far preferable going back?

suspiciousofgoldfish Wed 13-Jul-16 21:54:45

This is a very common thing, google it and it will make sense to you all..... It did for me anyway.

These dreams do not mean you secretly have feelings for this person or wish you could get back together, it's more about that particular time of your life and how you felt emotionally....

Can't remember exactly what it said
But it was really interesting and made perfect sense to me.

saffynool Wed 13-Jul-16 22:37:22

Yes, I get this a lot. Broke up 16 years ago, no contact for almost that long. Have been married and divorced since and am now in happy and stable relationship that has been going on for twice as long as ex-Bf and I were together!

But still have intense dreams about the 'first love' with fair frequency, always the same kind of thing, always getting back together, romantic rather than 'sexy' though! It was a bit of a messy split and I suppose there's been no 'closure', so that's what I put the dreams down to. I don't read too much into them although they tend to leave me unsettled for 24 hours after. I'd prefer they didn't happen tbh.

come2chat Thu 14-Jul-16 03:00:24

So glad to know i'm not alone in this. It really is so annoying, and im often woken up wondering "what was that?" and it kinda follows me around like a misty cloud for the rest of the day. I dream about my ex and my current dh on a ratio 10:1 shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now