Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

About to join Match.com but have just seen a father from my children's school on it ...

(7 Posts)
NotSos Sun 10-Jul-16 17:04:46

... and is quite cute, and from his profile sounds like a nice guy! I can't bear to put my picture on now as he will know it is me immediately. Is is unreasonable to join Match.com and NOT put a picture on, see if anyone contacts me based on personality alone??? And/or if he does? Thanks for any advice. I was actually hoping just to sneak on and see what is out there without having to join, but am being lured into joining by 'winks' and emails from people, that I cannot access until I fully sign up. Am a bit scared! Someone please reassure me that it is no big deal, I am not even sure I want to meet someone, just curious after having a romantic fling on holiday and realising what I am missing!! Think 'Before Sunrise' for a 40 year old :-)

AristotlesTrousers Sun 10-Jul-16 17:35:42

Oh, that's frustrating.

However, I wouldn't let it deter you. I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not uploading a photo, because I think there are probably lots of people who just scroll by the profiles with no picture, and you don't want to miss out.

I think also - you're both in the same position, so no need to be embarrassed. Do you think you can style it out?

Also, you never know... wink

Disclaimer: I met DP doing online dating (though was quite a few years ago now, and had to kiss a lot of frogs).

creativevoid Sun 10-Jul-16 17:39:44

You won't get any response if you don't post a picture.

I went onto Match shortly after splitting up with my ex-H and saw a male colleague. I felt like I had invaded his privacy! I didn't go through with it but it must have worked for him as he and his partner had a baby girl a few weeks ago.

Just go for it - there's no shame.

Queensbelfastvcisasexistprat Sun 10-Jul-16 17:40:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joy69 Sun 10-Jul-16 23:13:33

I'm considering joining a dating site. I'm interested to see how you get on. Just to chicken at the moment to take the plunge hmm

mickyblueyes Mon 11-Jul-16 10:49:19

When I went on Match.com I had the same dilemma as you, friends, even my ex on it...after umming and arrghhhing for a month or so I eventually thought 'Bugger It'!

You've nothing to lose...from what I remember you get notified if someone views your profile. So you'll know if Mr Cute from school views your profile, you never know wink!

Be prepared though, from what I understand women get bombarded with emails, winks etc...Being a bloke for me it was the complete opposite, 2 emails in a month, ignored, down hearted.

I did manage to get one date secured though smile...Still with her a year later and very much in love!

I'm with creativevoid - Just go for it

ravenmum Mon 11-Jul-16 10:54:58

Put up a photo, or you will miss out on lots of lovely people who will wonder what you are hiding otherwise (to me it shouts "afraid my spouse might see me!).

He has screwed up the courage to put up a photo, and now you are going to take advantage of the fact that you saw his first, and try to lure him into chatting to you without knowing it's you, while you know it's him? Not fair!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now