Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Flaw in My Attachment Formation: Is it Just Me?

(1 Post)
Arsenal123 Fri 08-Jul-16 11:55:15

I feel I have a fatal flaw when it comes to forming relationships. I seem to develop feeling for people based predominantly on physical attraction. I think there is more going on but I've been involved with people who have not treated me properly and before starting relationships I've told myself I would run for the hills if they did that to me.

... I stayed even though I knew it was wrong and wasted years of my life, often losing site of who I am, my confidence, and self-esteem.

What is more, my own self-esteem is linked closely to how I am perceived by others, especially my looks. As I am balding, I have recently taken a knock in confidence.

How can I be true to myself and find a meaningful life partner? Is it possible to let go of insecurities relating to appearance/vanity? (My sister had alopecia when we were growing up and it destroyed her in school - and I found it particularly traumatic to see her cry every morning and beg my mum not to make her go to school).

I feel like I am not the person I am supposed to be and bad relationships are making it worse. Even though I know it's flawed, my brain seems to think a bad relationship with someone physically attractive is better than being single. I can't seem to form non-serious attachments, or stick to my values when it comes to what I should accept in a partner.

This may sound like textbook low self-esteem? If so: is low self-esteem really conquerable if you felt it most of your life?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now