Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Feeling unsupported

(1 Post)
CatoftheMilkyWay Sat 02-Jul-16 22:19:57

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm 36 weeks pregnant with our first baby, conceived by IVF. I also have ME. The pregnancy itself hasn't been too bad but other things in our life have been tough: my MiL passed away a month ago after a long battle with cancer, we have had problems in our house (now mostly sorted), and my husband is unhappy in his job. I have been trying to be supportive at what has been a really sad and stressful time for him and taken on more than I normally would be able to so he has less pressure. But now the birth is so near I am starting to feel like I need more emotional support that he is not giving me. I have not been sleeping well and he has been moaning about how I keep him awake and am grumpy and tired. Plus whenever I try to discuss baby things with him he acts a bit like it's not his problem and he has more important things to think about. When we are with family and friends he will joke about how he will be in the pub while I'm in labour or moan about me which I find annoying. I'm probably being unfair as he is in general very supportive and caring for me in my illness and I know parenthood is a big adjustment for him as well but I feel like I should be able to ask him to be more sensitive especially leading up to the birth which I am nervous about. I have suggested multiple times that he goes for counselling to help with grief and more general worries and he says he will but does nothing about it. What do you think? I can't tell if I am being unfair or what is the best way to deal with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now