Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Telling parents we are splitting up

(6 Posts)
Hotwaterbottle1 Fri 01-Jul-16 14:29:31

I'm not sure why I'm posting or if anyone can help but I'm at the stage I want to tell my parents oh and I are splitting up (but having to live together for financial reasons). I'm worried as firstly my mum stresses and worries over everything and I hate her constant checking all is ok, I tend to therefore not tell her anything too personal. Secondly my oh and Dad are very good friends, go drinking and to football together. It's me driving the split and I'm just not sure they will understand sad

Wonkydonkey44 Fri 01-Jul-16 18:16:35

Just tell them , they will understand I'm sure.

You're their child and they want you to be happy

Minime85 Fri 01-Jul-16 18:49:05

You need to tell them. I was very worried my parents would think I had failed and I felt I had let them down but they were incredibly supportive. Just explain your reasons.

Joy69 Fri 01-Jul-16 18:53:37

I was dreading telling my parent's & thought they'd think I was a failure. Turns out they knew I hadn't been happy for a while & were fantastic. Still are for that matter.
You might be surprised Parents can be quite perceptive.

Hotwaterbottle1 Sat 02-Jul-16 08:40:31

Thank you all. I just want to get it over now but have had no opportunity so looks like will have to be after work next week. I'm not telling my H until after as I don't want him there, or worrying whilst I'm there or trying to talk me out of it.

Openmindedmonkey Sat 02-Jul-16 08:47:08

I said to mine that I 'hadn't been happy for a while' & they said that they knew.
You might be surprised what they've noticed.
Most people understand that finance can make situations tough, too - just use simple explanations for you DM, if she doesn't at first.
They will worry about you, it's natural, but please don't hold back from telling them, they love you most of all & just want you to be happy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now