Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Divorce - need a bit of hand holding

(1 Post)
ScrewyMcScrewup Thu 30-Jun-16 20:14:12

I've finally stepped out of denial and ended my marriage. The writing's been on the wall for a while but I buried my head in the sand, mostly because I was worried about how I'd cope financially. When it got to the point where I would rather live on a shoestring than live with him, and I knew it was time.

Finances ARE a problem. I don't want him to live here but I can't cover the rent on my salary alone. At the same time he can't pay two lots of rent, especially since he's on a low income. I need to pluck up the courage to explain the situation to the landlord and hope he'll release us from the tenancy agreement nine months early. We were tied to this (very expensive) location because of his work, so at least I can move somewhere cheaper eventually.

If we're not released from the agreement and my ex won't pay his half then I have no idea what I'll do.

But even worse than that anxiety is that I feel guilty. I don't believe he's any happier than I am in the marriage, but he doesn't want it to end. This is what I want hand-holding for... so I don't agree to give it yet another try out of guilt. I know it's best for us and he'll see it too when he meets someone else, but that doesn't help my crushing guilt right now. He's not a bad person or a bad husband, we're just not compatible. It should have been obvious from the start but we were young and stupid...

Just tell me everything will be okay, lovely mumsnetters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now