Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

best beds for sex…?

(38 Posts)
alwayssunshine Sun 19-Jun-16 12:15:35

Really quite confused. Trying to help my bf buy a new mattress, and I think that the 'sex' factor is pretty important - but it doesn't seem to be discussed in bed shops! I have a tempur mattress now, and I think it's great for sex. My boyfriend has never had one though and is thinking of getting a normal sprung mattress. (He's got memory foam where he is atm).
If it is springy (normal mattress), doesn't it just push you back (if he's on top?), but if the mattress has some resistance (i.e. memory foam), then it helps create a deeper push?
This is a serious question - but wasn't sure if it should go here or on the sex board?
Please any advice useful! Just too embarrassed to ask in the shops!

CathemeralChild Sun 19-Jun-16 12:19:18

Do you only ever have sex in the same position in bed then?

legotits Sun 19-Jun-16 12:19:45

Unless you have mobility issues? You aren't likely to be judging mattresses performance and resistance during sex surely?

If you really want to benefit sex then try the foam wedges.
wink

msrisotto Sun 19-Jun-16 12:21:35

Flower bed?

CathemeralChild Sun 19-Jun-16 12:21:45

You may be overthinking this. grin
I've never even noticed the bounce-ability of any bed I've shagged on.
only the ones that have collapsed

acatcalledjohn Sun 19-Jun-16 12:23:56

Hold on, you expect shops to discuss the quality of the mattress for the purpose of sex?

So the 18YO college student, the 63YO close to retirement, the Muslim person, the devout Christian person, the asexual person, the gay person, the virgin...

You expect all of them to be able to discuss the suitability of a mattress for sex with a random stranger? Really?

How this is anything other than a personal choice is beyond me.

hmm

acatcalledjohn Sun 19-Jun-16 12:26:35

"Hello, we are looking for a new mattress."
"Ok, can you tell me your most common sexual position?"
"Well, we tend to go for doggy style."
"Right, so something soft for the lady's knees then."

hmmgrinblush

usual Sun 19-Jun-16 12:26:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scribblegirl Sun 19-Jun-16 12:28:26

I can't believe I've never thought about this before grin I think usual has a very good point.

Pinkheart5915 Sun 19-Jun-16 12:31:44

Do you only have sex in the bed? No kitchen side? Sofa? Garden? Stairs?

Surely when your having sex you not like ooh this mattress isn't very nice, if you are then you need better sex

SuperFlyHigh Sun 19-Jun-16 12:35:14

Off topic slightly... Years ago as a spry young thing my boyfriend and I stayed in his brother's flat for the weekend minding the flat, above a barbers where the brother worked.

We slept in brother's room and he told us, the mattress is great for shagging on (his words!) anyway I've never had so many g spot orgasms as I'd had that weekend.

I think the mattress was very firm (or firmer than usual) but it also had a good solid wooden frame.

Make of that what you will wink

alwayssunshine Sun 19-Jun-16 12:42:51

Yes, we shag in other places and positions too. I was just asking for input for when we do it on a mattress.
It isn't something I think about consciously when I'm having sex on different surfaces, but seeing as we're looking for a new mattress, and it is a sure thing that we will have sex on it, I was just asking for opinions that's all.

legotits Sun 19-Jun-16 12:51:09

I have advice!

Back injury (or invent one)/ buy v pillows and other odd shaped supports/ repurpose said pillows for shagging.

The small wedge shaped ones are great for sitting in car/ impromptu outdoor sex.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Sun 19-Jun-16 12:52:41

acatcalledjohn 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Summerlovinf Sun 19-Jun-16 12:56:06

I think it's an excellent point and a mattress can be such an expense these days you do want to it be suitable for your needs for sex as well as sleep. Mine is pocket sprung topped with memory foam and I find that it is quite firm and very good for sex and for sleeping with a differently weighted partner...no roll together and it's firm enough for any positions I've found myself in. The only thing with memory foam is it takes a bit of getting used to as it retains more heat than ordinary mattress - I found that a problem at first as I'm so hot in bed. haha

Summerlovinf Sun 19-Jun-16 12:57:40

If I were you, I'd try out mattresses in the shop...bounce about a bit...not exactly simulating sex but getting a feel for how it might be. wink

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 19-Jun-16 13:08:42

Wtf?

What happened to primly sitting on the edge of the bed with feet on the floor and bending knees slightly to test robustness and height firmness?

MadeMan Sun 19-Jun-16 13:12:10

Everyone goes for the squeakiest bed in the shop, surely?

Kungfupandaworksout16 Sun 19-Jun-16 17:20:22

pink stairs shock did the carpet salesman give you a good sex rating for stairs grin

Joking aside that can't be comfortable I just imagine carpet burns , falling and injuries that wouldn't be easily explained away. Maybe that's because my stairs are weirdly shaped and twisty.

loobyloo1234 Sun 19-Jun-16 17:32:13

What a thread grin

'Excuse me bed shop man/woman, can you please direct me to a mattress with great bouncebackability, and one that withstands quite a bit of pressure?' wink hahaha

Pinkheart5915 Sun 19-Jun-16 19:54:21

kungfu the stairs are good. You don't notice how uncomfortable it is until the sex is over and your legs really hurt.
I have had a few carpet burns though, but never a fall.

Yeahthatwasme Sun 19-Jun-16 22:35:13

This is stupid. you spend many many more hours asleep than having sex. Sleep is important for health. More important than sex. everyone- even the celebate through choice or circumstance need sleep. get a mattress that suits both of your sleeping needs. some companys do half/half firm/soft depending on body weight.

and grow up.

Mikkalina Sun 19-Jun-16 23:56:46

Don't buy spring mattress. Well, mine isn't good for when I am on the top.

Mikkalina Sun 19-Jun-16 23:59:09

Interested in mattresses which support back well during the night and don't wobble with every move. Even a little wobble can disturb my sleep.

Asprilla11 Mon 20-Jun-16 00:05:25

OP - Why don't you and your BF but on your best underwear and a long coat each. Go to your local bed shop(s) and speak to the manager.

Ask him to put the shutters down and the 'closed' sign up.

Then you and BF then take your coats off and shag on every bed in the store, shout out your score for each mattress and the manager can keep a tally for you! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now